Title and statement of responsibility area
Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal
- Graphic material
- Textual record
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on letterhead found in the fonds
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
1850-1984, predominant 1952-1975 (Vervaardig)
- St. Joseph's Parish (Roman Catholic), Petty Harbour (NL)
10 photographs: b&w
1 microfilm reel
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Naam van de archiefvormer
St. Joseph's Parish was established at Petty Harbour in 1884. Prior to this date, Petty Harbour formed part of the parish or district of St. John's, which then included Torbay, Pouch Cove, Portugal Cove, and Topsail. In 1834, Bishop Michael A. Fleming built a mission church, dedicated to St. Joseph, at Petty Harbour and celebrated Sunday mass there in July 1835. The mission was served by clergy from the Cathedral Residence in St. John's until its erection as an independent parish.
The original parish church built by Bishop Fleming was torn down on 22 October 1962 and construction began on a new building under the direction of Rev. James O'Dwyer, resident parish priest. In the interim, mass was celebrated for two years in the local Catholic school. Rev. O'Dwyer celebrated the first mass in the new St. Joseph's Church on 15 March 1964.
In 1884 the boundaries of St. Joseph's Parish encompassed the communities of Blackhead, Maddox Cove, and the Goulds. However, these original boundaries have been altered over time. In 1948, due to a growing Catholic population in the Goulds, St. Kevin's Mission was raised to the status of parish, thus gaining independence from St. Joseph's. In addition, responsibility for the mission church (also dedicated to St. Joseph) at Blackhead was transferred to St. John Bosco Parish after 1964. Thus, St. Joseph's current boundaries have contracted to encompass only the amalgamated community of Petty Harbour-Maddox Cove.
Structurally, the parish has been organized along lines similar to most Roman Catholic parishes, including a Parish Pastoral Council and a Finance Committee responsible for directing parish activities and managing parish monies.
Since 1970, St. Joseph's Parish has been served by clergy from St. Kevin's Parish. Pastors and administrators who have served St. Joseph's since its establishment include: Roger Tierney (1884-1930); Francis J. D. Ryan (1930-[1935?]); Edward J. Rawlins ([1935?]-1948); John L. Lacey ([1948?-1952?]); Andrew T. Nolan (1952-1955); F. W. Bradshaw (1955-1961); James O'Dwyer (1961-1969); John McGettigan, Administrator (1970-1971); John F. Wallis, Administrator (1971-1977); William Pomroy, Administrator (1977-1982); Robert Moore, Administrator ([1983?]-1986); Dermot McGettigan, Administrator (1986-1987); John Maddigan, Administrator (1987-1991); Jerome Hann, Administrator (1991-1999); Kenneth F. Walsh (1999-2001); and Paul Lundrigan (2001- ).
Bereik en inhoud
Directe bron van verwerving
Taal van het materiaal
Schrift van het materiaal
Plaats van originelen
Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten
Restrictions on access
Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.
Standard number area
Genre access points
Identificatie van het beschrijvingsrecord
Identificatiecode van de instelling
Regels of conventies
Niveau van detaillering
Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering
Taal van de beschrijving