Fundo - St. Joseph's Parish (Roman Catholic), Petty Harbour (NL) fonds

Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade

Título próprio

St. Joseph's Parish (Roman Catholic), Petty Harbour (NL) fonds

Designação geral do material

  • Material gráfico
  • Documento textual

Título paralelo

Outra informação do título

Título e menções de responsabilidade

Notas ao título

  • Source of title proper: Title based on letterhead found in the fonds

Nível de descrição

Fundo

Código de referência

Zona de edição

Menção de edição

Menção de responsabilidade da edição

Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais

Menção da escala (cartográfica)

Menção da projecção (cartográfica)

Menção das coordenadas (cartográfico)

Menção da escala (arquitectura)

Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)

Zona de datas de criação

Data(s)

  • 1850-1984, predominant 1952-1975 (Produção)
    Produtor
    St. Joseph's Parish (Roman Catholic), Petty Harbour (NL)

Zona de descrição física

Descrição física

12 cm of textual records
10 photographs: b&w
1 microfilm reel

Zona dos editores das publicações

Título próprio do recurso continuado

Títulos paralelos das publicações do editor

Outra informação do título das publicações do editor

Menção de responsabilidade relativa ao editor do recurso contínuo

Numeração das publicações do editor

Nota sobre as publicações do editor

Zona da descrição do arquivo

Nome do produtor

(1884-)

História administrativa

St. Joseph's Parish was established at Petty Harbour in 1884. Prior to this date, Petty Harbour formed part of the parish or district of St. John's, which then included Torbay, Pouch Cove, Portugal Cove, and Topsail. In 1834, Bishop Michael A. Fleming built a mission church, dedicated to St. Joseph, at Petty Harbour and celebrated Sunday mass there in July 1835. The mission was served by clergy from the Cathedral Residence in St. John's until its erection as an independent parish.

The original parish church built by Bishop Fleming was torn down on 22 October 1962 and construction began on a new building under the direction of Rev. James O'Dwyer, resident parish priest. In the interim, mass was celebrated for two years in the local Catholic school. Rev. O'Dwyer celebrated the first mass in the new St. Joseph's Church on 15 March 1964.

In 1884 the boundaries of St. Joseph's Parish encompassed the communities of Blackhead, Maddox Cove, and the Goulds. However, these original boundaries have been altered over time. In 1948, due to a growing Catholic population in the Goulds, St. Kevin's Mission was raised to the status of parish, thus gaining independence from St. Joseph's. In addition, responsibility for the mission church (also dedicated to St. Joseph) at Blackhead was transferred to St. John Bosco Parish after 1964. Thus, St. Joseph's current boundaries have contracted to encompass only the amalgamated community of Petty Harbour-Maddox Cove.

Structurally, the parish has been organized along lines similar to most Roman Catholic parishes, including a Parish Pastoral Council and a Finance Committee responsible for directing parish activities and managing parish monies.

Since 1970, St. Joseph's Parish has been served by clergy from St. Kevin's Parish. Pastors and administrators who have served St. Joseph's since its establishment include: Roger Tierney (1884-1930); Francis J. D. Ryan (1930-[1935?]); Edward J. Rawlins ([1935?]-1948); John L. Lacey ([1948?-1952?]); Andrew T. Nolan (1952-1955); F. W. Bradshaw (1955-1961); James O'Dwyer (1961-1969); John McGettigan, Administrator (1970-1971); John F. Wallis, Administrator (1971-1977); William Pomroy, Administrator (1977-1982); Robert Moore, Administrator ([1983?]-1986); Dermot McGettigan, Administrator (1986-1987); John Maddigan, Administrator (1987-1991); Jerome Hann, Administrator (1991-1999); Kenneth F. Walsh (1999-2001); and Paul Lundrigan (2001- ).

História custodial

Âmbito e conteúdo

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to parish property, the presbytery, and general parish affairs (1952-1975); financial statements (1915-1928); land and property deeds (1850-1942); canonical decree delineating parish boundaries (1982); drawings and plans of church property and presbytery (1969, 1971); 1 microfilm reel of baptismal (1872-1899), marriage (1873-1899), and death (1892-1911) registers; newspaper clippings relating to parish history (1983-1984); and 10 black and white photographs, including views of the original and present-day St. Joseph's churches (1955, [1963?]). Fonds includes some photocopies.

Zona das notas

Condição física

Fonte imediata de aquisição

Organização

Idioma do material

  • inglês

Script do material

Localização de originais

Disponibilidade de outros formatos

Restrições de acesso

Restrictions on access may apply. Consult the archivist.

Termos que regulam o uso, reprodução e publicação

Instrumentos de descrição

Box list available.

Materiais associados

See Basilica-Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish fonds for records that predate the establishment of St. Joseph's Parish. See also St. Kevin's Parish fonds for records related to the Goulds created after 1948.

Materiais relacionados

Ingressos adicionais

The fonds is open. Further accruals are expected.

Identificador(es) alternativo(s)

Zona do número normalizado

Número normalizado

Pontos de acesso

Pontos de acesso - Assuntos

Pontos de acesso - Nomes

Pontos de acesso de género

Zona do controlo

Descrição do identificador do registo

Identificador da instituição

Regras ou convenções

Estatuto

Preliminar

Nível de detalhe

Parcial

Datas de criação, revisão ou eliminação

Created - April 23, 2013

Idioma da descrição

  • inglês

Script da descrição

Fontes

Zona da incorporação

Assuntos relacionados

Pessoas e organizações relacionadas

Géneros relacionados