Archief - St. Joseph's Parish (Salmonier, Newfoundland) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Titel

St. Joseph's Parish (Salmonier, Newfoundland) fonds

Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material

Parallelle titel

Overige titelinformatie

Title statements of responsibility

Titel aantekeningen

  • Source of title proper: Title based on correspondence in the fonds

Beschrijvingsniveau

Archief

referentie code

Editie

Editie

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Datering archiefvorming

Datum(s)

  • 1874-2001 (Vervaardig)
    Archiefvormer
    St. Joseph's Parish (Roman Catholic), St. Joseph's (NL)

Fysieke beschrijving

Fysieke beschrijving

11.5 cm of textual records
8 photographs: b&w

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archivistische beschrijving

Naam van de archiefvormer

(1872-)

Institutionele geschiedenis

St. Joseph's Parish was established in 1872. At that time, the parish encompassed the communities on both sides of Salmonier Arm as well as Muscle Pond (now called O'Donnell's) and Admiral's Beach which are located to the south of the south side of Salmonier Arm. Other communities such as Mother Rex and Mosquito on Colinet Island, Harricott, Colinet, Pinch Gut Tickles (later known as Assumption Passage), Forrestral (later known as North Harbour), John's Pond and Cape Dog were also included in St. Joseph's Parish because of their close proximity to Salmonier Arm. The ecclesiastical centre of the parish was St. Joseph's, St. Mary's Bay.

In 1927 the communities of Mount Carmel-Mitchell's Brook-St. Catherine's, Harricott, Colinet and North Harbour were separated from St. Joseph's in order to form a new parish, Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Currently, St. Joseph's Parish includes the communities of Forest Field, New Bridge, St. Joseph's, O'Donnell's and Admiral's Beach.

Initially, St. Joseph's Parish was administered by Father James Duffy of Assumption Parish, St. Mary's. The first priest appointed to St. Joseph's Parish was Father John J. St. John who came in 1874 and stayed for twenty-two years, until 1896. Another long serving priest was Father John Michael Enright who arrived in 1919 and stayed until his death in 1966. In 1989, the parish found itself without a priest and realized that, due to a shortage of priests, they would not be receiving another. Instead, Archbishop Alphonsus Penny appointed a Pastoral Team to the parish which was made up of a priest administrator and two Sisters of Mercy. By 1995, however, this team no longer existed and there was some discussion of amalgamating St. Joseph's Parish with Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish. In the end, this notion was rejected. Currently, St. Joseph's is maintained as a separate parish while being administered by the parish priest of Our Lady of Mount Carmel.

While a Roman Catholic chapel was built in St. Joseph's sometime around 1840, a larger church was not built until 1866. This church served the people of the parish for 89 years. In 1975, however, the church was deemed unsafe and a new one had to be built. The fonds does not give a lot of detail on the smaller chapels in the communities of St. Joseph's Parish. One correspondence from 1960, however, does mention that an old school chapel on the lower end of the south side of O'Donnell's had deteriorated beyond repair and had to be taken down.

Likewise, the fonds does not give a lot of information on the early establishment of schools in this parish. Outside sources say, however, that the school chapel at O'Donnell's was probably built in 1921. It is also mentioned that, prior to 1966, Newbridge had a one room school which taught up to grade eight. The high school students from Newbridge had to attend school at Mount Carmel and seek board with other families. A form in the fonds suggests that by 1960, there were also schools at St. Joseph's and Admiral's Beach. By this time a new school had also been built at O'Donnell's. In the late 1960's, however, centralization of schools took place all over Newfoundland and, in 1968, a regional high school, Enright Memorial Academy, was opened.

Geschiedenis beheer

Bereik en inhoud

Fonds consists of baptismal registers (1874-1957); marriage register (1874-1901); confirmation register (1922-61); photocopies only of marriage register (1901-2000) and death register (1907-2001); financial statements (1915-30); correspondence (1955-75); parish boundary decree (1985); and eight photographs; Fonds also includes printed material which relates to the Parish's history and activities.

Aantekeningen

Materiële staat

Directe bron van verwerving

The immediate source of the fonds is St. Joseph's Parish but additional material has been added by the archivist and other donors.

Ordening

Taal van het materiaal

  • Engels
  • Latijn

Schrift van het materiaal

Taal en schrift aantekening

English predominates. Some Latin documents included.

Plaats van originelen

Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten

The following registers have been photocopied: marriage register (1874-1901); baptismal registers (1874-1957); and confirmation register (1922-61). The ARCASJ holds only photocopy for marriage register (1901-2000).

Restrictions on access

Restrictions on access apply. Consult the archivist.

Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.

Researchers are required to use the photocopied registers for conservation reasons.

Toegangen

Box list available.

Associated materials

See Assumption Parish fonds, St. Mary's, for records that predate the establishment of St. Joseph's Parish. Also consult Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish fonds for records on communities that were once part of St. Joseph's Parish.

Related materials

Aanvullingen

Further accruals are not expected on a regular basis but the fonds remain open for the transfer of any additional material that may be forwarded.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standaard nummer

Trefwoorden

Onderwerp trefwoord

Geografische trefwoorden

Naam ontsluitingsterm

Genre access points

Beheer

Identificatie van het beschrijvingsrecord

Identificatiecode van de instelling

Regels of conventies

Status

Klad

Niveau van detaillering

Gedeeltelijk

Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering

Created - May 1, 2013

Taal van de beschrijving

  • Engels

Schrift van de beschrijving

Bronnen

Voorwaarden voor raadpleging en gebruik

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres