Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Kevin's Parish (Roman Catholic), Goulds (NL) fonds
General material designation
- Graphic material
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on canonical decree found in the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1951-1984, predominant 1951-1972 (Creation)
- St. Kevin's Parish (Roman Catholic), Goulds (NL)
Physical description area
12 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Kevin's Parish is located in the Goulds, a rural community that was amalgamated with St. John's in 1992. Established as a parish in 1948, St. Kevin's had been a mission of St. Joseph's Parish in Petty Harbour (est. 1884). Prior to the erection of St. Joseph's, the Catholic residents of the Goulds were served by priests residing in the districts/parishes of Bay Bulls and St. John's.
The first Roman Catholic church was built in the Goulds sometime during the 1870s. This original structure served the community until the present church was erected in 1944. It was blessed and formally opened on 21 June 1945 by Illebrando Antonutti, Papal Delegate to Canada and Newfoundland. In 1949, the Sisters of Mercy took up residence at the newly erected Sacred Heart Convent, located next to the parish church, and assumed responsibility for education in the community.
The activities of St. Kevin's Parish, like most Roman Catholic parishes, were intertwined with the operations of local Catholic schools, integral components of any parochial organization. References to the establishment of a Roman Catholic school in the Goulds as early as 1848 exist; however, details are sketchy. In 1913, Rev. Roger Tierney, parish priest of St. Joseph's and administrator of St. Kevin's, oversaw the construction of a one-room school in the Goulds. In 1961, Rev. John J. Murray, parish priest at St. Kevin's, also oversaw the construction of a new school (completed under Rev. Murray's successor, Rev. Albert P. Slattery). Today, St. Kevin's Elementary and St. Kevin's High serve the community, but they are no longer under church control due to denominational education reforms passed by the Provincial Government in 1997.
In October 1981, a Parish Pastoral Council Steering Committee was established to oversee the creation of a Parish Pastoral Council. The Steering Committee stated that the Council's mandate should be the co-ordination, encouragement, and promotion of apostolic activity through the parish community. The first election of officers occurred on 15 June 1983, shortly after which the Council initiated several committees to review areas of parish activity. Past and present committees at St. Kevin's include Finance, Liturgy, Family Aid, Cemetery, Parish Hall, Youth, and Services committees (this list is not exhaustive). The committee structure was created to be flexible, allowing for the dissolution and creation of new committees as were deemed necessary. In addition to the Parish Pastoral Council and the various committees established at St. Kevin's, parishioners are active in lay societies and organizations such as the Catholic Women's League, the Knights of Columbus, and the St. Kevin's Altar Servers Association (SKASA).
Pastors who have served the parish since its establishment include: Edward J. Rawlins (1948-1949); J. Loyola Lacey, Administrator (1949); John J. Murray (1949-1962); Albert P. Slattery (1962-1970); John McGettigan, Administrator (1970); John F. Wallis (1971-1977); William Pomroy (1979-1982); Dermot McGettigan (1982-1987); John Maddigan (1987-1991); Jerome Hann (1991-1999); Kenneth F. Walsh (1999-2001); and Paul Lundrigan (2001- ).
Scope and content
Fonds consists of correspondence relating to the construction of St. Kevin's School, the extension of the parish hall, and other general parish activities and affairs (1951-1977); canonical decree delineating parish boundaries (1982); SKASA souvenir booklet (1983); newspaper clippings relating to parish history (1984); and 1 photograph of the church's interior. Fonds includes some photocopies.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Box list available
See St. Joseph's Parish fonds for records that predate the establishment of St. Kevin's Parish.
The fonds is open. Further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 6, 2013
Language of description