Fondos - St. Kevin's Parish (Roman Catholic), Goulds (NL) fonds

Área de título y declaración de responsabilidad

Título apropiado

St. Kevin's Parish (Roman Catholic), Goulds (NL) fonds

Tipo general de material

  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Título paralelo

Otra información de título

Título declaración de responsabilidad

Título notas

  • Source of title proper: Title based on canonical decree found in the fonds

Nivel de descripción

Fondos

Código de referencia

Área de edición

Declaración de edición

Declaración de responsabilidad de edición

Área de detalles específicos de la clase de material

Mención de la escala (cartográfica)

Mención de proyección (cartográfica)

Mención de coordenadas (cartográfica)

Mención de la escala (arquitectónica)

Jurisdicción de emisión y denominación (filatélico)

Área de fechas de creación

Fecha(s)

  • 1951-1984, predominant 1951-1972 (Criação)
    Creador
    St. Kevin's Parish (Roman Catholic), Goulds (NL)

Área de descripción física

Descripción física

12 cm of textual records
1 photograph

Área de series editoriales

Título apropiado de las series del editor

Títulos paralelos de serie editorial

Otra información de título de las series editoriales

Declaración de responsabilidad relativa a las series editoriales

Numeración dentro de la serie editorial

Nota en las series editoriales

Área de descripción del archivo

Nombre del productor

(1948-)

Historia administrativa

St. Kevin's Parish is located in the Goulds, a rural community that was amalgamated with St. John's in 1992. Established as a parish in 1948, St. Kevin's had been a mission of St. Joseph's Parish in Petty Harbour (est. 1884). Prior to the erection of St. Joseph's, the Catholic residents of the Goulds were served by priests residing in the districts/parishes of Bay Bulls and St. John's.

The first Roman Catholic church was built in the Goulds sometime during the 1870s. This original structure served the community until the present church was erected in 1944. It was blessed and formally opened on 21 June 1945 by Illebrando Antonutti, Papal Delegate to Canada and Newfoundland. In 1949, the Sisters of Mercy took up residence at the newly erected Sacred Heart Convent, located next to the parish church, and assumed responsibility for education in the community.

The activities of St. Kevin's Parish, like most Roman Catholic parishes, were intertwined with the operations of local Catholic schools, integral components of any parochial organization. References to the establishment of a Roman Catholic school in the Goulds as early as 1848 exist; however, details are sketchy. In 1913, Rev. Roger Tierney, parish priest of St. Joseph's and administrator of St. Kevin's, oversaw the construction of a one-room school in the Goulds. In 1961, Rev. John J. Murray, parish priest at St. Kevin's, also oversaw the construction of a new school (completed under Rev. Murray's successor, Rev. Albert P. Slattery). Today, St. Kevin's Elementary and St. Kevin's High serve the community, but they are no longer under church control due to denominational education reforms passed by the Provincial Government in 1997.

In October 1981, a Parish Pastoral Council Steering Committee was established to oversee the creation of a Parish Pastoral Council. The Steering Committee stated that the Council's mandate should be the co-ordination, encouragement, and promotion of apostolic activity through the parish community. The first election of officers occurred on 15 June 1983, shortly after which the Council initiated several committees to review areas of parish activity. Past and present committees at St. Kevin's include Finance, Liturgy, Family Aid, Cemetery, Parish Hall, Youth, and Services committees (this list is not exhaustive). The committee structure was created to be flexible, allowing for the dissolution and creation of new committees as were deemed necessary. In addition to the Parish Pastoral Council and the various committees established at St. Kevin's, parishioners are active in lay societies and organizations such as the Catholic Women's League, the Knights of Columbus, and the St. Kevin's Altar Servers Association (SKASA).

Pastors who have served the parish since its establishment include: Edward J. Rawlins (1948-1949); J. Loyola Lacey, Administrator (1949); John J. Murray (1949-1962); Albert P. Slattery (1962-1970); John McGettigan, Administrator (1970); John F. Wallis (1971-1977); William Pomroy (1979-1982); Dermot McGettigan (1982-1987); John Maddigan (1987-1991); Jerome Hann (1991-1999); Kenneth F. Walsh (1999-2001); and Paul Lundrigan (2001- ).

Historial de custodia

Alcance y contenido

Fonds consists of correspondence relating to the construction of St. Kevin's School, the extension of the parish hall, and other general parish activities and affairs (1951-1977); canonical decree delineating parish boundaries (1982); SKASA souvenir booklet (1983); newspaper clippings relating to parish history (1984); and 1 photograph of the church's interior. Fonds includes some photocopies.

Área de notas

Condiciones físicas

Origen del ingreso

Arreglo

Idioma del material

  • inglés

Escritura del material

Ubicación de los originales

Disponibilidad de otros formatos

Restricciones de acceso

Condiciones de uso, reproducción, y publicación

Instrumentos de descripción

Box list available

Materiales asociados

See St. Joseph's Parish fonds for records that predate the establishment of St. Kevin's Parish.

Materiales relacionados

Acumulaciones

The fonds is open. Further accruals expected.

Identificador/es alternativo(os)

Área de número estándar

Número estándar

Puntos de acceso

Puntos de acceso por materia

Puntos de acceso por lugar

Puntos de acceso por autoridad

Tipo de puntos de acceso

Área de control

Identificador de registro de descripción

Identificador de la institución

Reglas o convenciones

Estado de elaboración

Minuta

Nivel de detalle

Parcial

Fechas de creación, revisión o eliminación

Created - May 6, 2013

Idioma de descripción

  • inglés

Escritura de la descripción

Fuentes

Área de Ingreso

Materias relacionadas

Personas y organizaciones relacionadas

Lugares relacionados

Tipos relacionados