Fonds - St. Luke’s Anglican Church (Old Bonaventure) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Luke’s Anglican Church (Old Bonaventure) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Supplied title based on provenance

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1889-2004 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. Luke's Anglican Church (Old Bonaventure, N.L.)

Physical description area

Physical description

9 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1892-)

Administrative history

“The first [St. Luke’s] was in the vicinity of the old cemetery nearer to the harbour. It was blown down in a June gale. An interesting note is that a cow that was seeking protection from the elements was killed in the collapse.

A Mr. Short was in charge of the building of the present edifice and some lumber, namely the wide hemlock boards from England, was salvaged from the old ruins. The present church was consecrated by Bishop Jones on November 13, 1892 when The Rev’d. William Weaver was rector of the parish. The service was at 10:30 a.m. and 54 people attended. The original roof was covered with Trinity Bay slate and the belfry stood separate from the main building.

In the mid nineteen hundreds the wood posts were replaced by concrete pillars and the bell was moved to a newly constructed tower. In more recent times the roof received repairs both inside and out and an attractive spire was added atop the tower.”

Custodial history

The records were kept and maintained at St. Luke’s Church, Old Bonaventure until 2009 when they were donated to the archives by a congregational/community committee.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of four Vestry Books for the years 1889 - 2004.

The records have been organized into a series according to form and function.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by the committee to deal with the closeout of St. Luke’s.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - August 26, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres