St. Luke's Anglican Church (Old Bonaventure, N.L.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

St. Luke's Anglican Church (Old Bonaventure, N.L.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1892-

History

“The first [St. Luke’s] was in the vicinity of the old cemetery nearer to the harbour. It was blown down in a June gale. An interesting note is that a cow that was seeking protection from the elements was killed in the collapse.

A Mr. Short was in charge of the building of the present edifice and some lumber, namely the wide hemlock boards from England, was salvaged from the old ruins. The present church was consecrated by Bishop Jones on November 13, 1892 when The Rev’d. William Weaver was rector of the parish. The service was at 10:30 a.m. and 54 people attended. The original roof was covered with Trinity Bay slate and the belfry stood separate from the main building.

In the mid nineteen hundreds the wood posts were replaced by concrete pillars and the bell was moved to a newly constructed tower. In more recent times the roof received repairs both inside and out and an attractive spire was added atop the tower.”

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - August 26, 2013

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places