Fonds - Anglican Parish of St. Mary the Virgin, St. John's, NL

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Anglican Parish of St. Mary the Virgin, St. John's, NL

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1898-1901 (Creation)
    Creator
    Anglican Parish of St. Mary the Virgin, St. John's, NL

Physical description area

Physical description

5cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1859 -)

Administrative history

The story of The Church of St. Mary The Virgin begins in the early 1850's when it was recognized that the Cathedral was overcrowded. A new church was built on South Side Road and on June 24, 1859, St. Mary's Church was consecrated by Bishop Feild. The original building was extended as the parish population grew until its seating capacity reached approximately 450. By the 1950's St. Mary's Congregation had outgrown the old church and land was procured on Craigmillar Avenue for the building of a new church ministry complex. It was opened December 23, 1962 and consecrated October 30, 1966.
St. Mary's Parish also includes a daughter congregation on Shea Heights. Named St. Peter on the Rock by Bishop Seaborn, the present church was built in 1996 and consecrated by Bishop Harvey.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Subscriptions towards repairing of St. Mary's Rectory; Address by Ve. Ed.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Restrictions may apply. Consult the archivist.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

See collection 302, Church Histories, File 1.0.027. See also rev. Cannon Babb fonds.

Related materials

Accruals

The fonds is open. further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres