Type of entity
Authorized form of name
St. Patrick's Parish (Tilting, N.L. : Catholic)
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
St. Patrick's Parish, located on Fogo island off the northeast coast of Newfoundland, was established in 1840. In the 1830s and 1840s, Irish Roman Catholic families, originally from Waterford, migrated from the Conception Bay area to Fogo, settling in Tilting. In 1785 there was a priest in Tilting by the name of Reverend Thomas Londregan. In 1834 the community had its first parish priest, an Irishman named Reverend Martin Joseph Bergan. He supervised the construction of a church which was completed in 1838. Reverend Patrick Ward became the first resident parish priest after St. Patrick's Parish was officially established. In 1974 a new St. Patrick's Church was consecrated in Tilting. An uncertain number of chapels and churches have existed in the area prior to this one.
Currently, St. Patrick's Parish consists of four communities: Tilting (St. Patrick's Church), Island Harbour (St. Pius X Church), Fogo (Our Lady Of The Snows Church), and Joe Batt's Arm (Mary, Queen of the World Church).
Pastors that have served St. Patrick's Parish since its establishment include: Patrick Ward (1840-1865); James Brown (1865-1885); Richard Walker (1886-1892); William P. Finn (1892-1910); Edward O'Brien (1910-1914); Michael J. Kinsella (1944-1948); Joseph O'Brien (1948-1955); Gregory Pumphery (1955-1964); Brendan J. McCarthy (1964-1967); Kevin Barker (1967-1976); William Hearn (1976-1979); Edward Brophy (1979-1984); Michael Hynes (1984-1986); David Heale (1986); Wayne Cummings (1986-1990); Francis Aylward (1990-1994); Tony/Anthony Hageman (1994-1997); Thomas Duffenais (1998-).
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 11, 2013