Title and statement of responsibility area
St. Patrick's Parish (Tilting, Newfoundland) fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Variations in title: As known as Tilting Parish Records fonds
- Source of title proper: Title based on the Canadian Catholic Church Directory 2001
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- St. Patrick's Parish (Tilting, N.L. : Catholic)
Physical description area
12 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
St. Patrick's Parish, located on Fogo island off the northeast coast of Newfoundland, was established in 1840. In the 1830s and 1840s, Irish Roman Catholic families, originally from Waterford, migrated from the Conception Bay area to Fogo, settling in Tilting. In 1785 there was a priest in Tilting by the name of Reverend Thomas Londregan. In 1834 the community had its first parish priest, an Irishman named Reverend Martin Joseph Bergan. He supervised the construction of a church which was completed in 1838. Reverend Patrick Ward became the first resident parish priest after St. Patrick's Parish was officially established. In 1974 a new St. Patrick's Church was consecrated in Tilting. An uncertain number of chapels and churches have existed in the area prior to this one.
Currently, St. Patrick's Parish consists of four communities: Tilting (St. Patrick's Church), Island Harbour (St. Pius X Church), Fogo (Our Lady Of The Snows Church), and Joe Batt's Arm (Mary, Queen of the World Church).
Pastors that have served St. Patrick's Parish since its establishment include: Patrick Ward (1840-1865); James Brown (1865-1885); Richard Walker (1886-1892); William P. Finn (1892-1910); Edward O'Brien (1910-1914); Michael J. Kinsella (1944-1948); Joseph O'Brien (1948-1955); Gregory Pumphery (1955-1964); Brendan J. McCarthy (1964-1967); Kevin Barker (1967-1976); William Hearn (1976-1979); Edward Brophy (1979-1984); Michael Hynes (1984-1986); David Heale (1986); Wayne Cummings (1986-1990); Francis Aylward (1990-1994); Tony/Anthony Hageman (1994-1997); Thomas Duffenais (1998-).
Scope and content
Fonds consists of baptismal and marriage records (1943-1954); baptismal records ledger (1842-1904); marriage records ledger (1842-1904); confirmation cards for Joe Batt's Arm (2 Aug. 1950, 5 Mar. 1951, 29 Sep. 1955, 6 Jul. 1960); confirmation cards for Island Harbour (3 Aug. 1950, 29 Sep. 1955, 6 Jul. 1960); confirmation cards for Fogo (2 Aug. 1950, 4 Apr. 1951, 13 Mar. 1951, 28 Sep. 1955, 6 Apr. 1958, 6 Jul. 1960); confirmation cards for Tilting (17 Apr. 1950, 3 Aug. 1950, 29 Aug. 1955, 6 Jul. 1960); death records (1943, 1944, 1947, 1949, 1950-1954).
Records are very fragile.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Access restricted due to conservation concerns.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 11, 2013
Language of description