Title and statement of responsibility area
Sts. Peter and Paul Parish (Harbour Main, Newfoundland) fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Variations in title: Previously known as the Harbour Main Parish Records fonds
- Source of title proper: Title based on the Canadian Catholic Church Directory 2001
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- St. Peter and Paul Parish (Harbour Main, N.L. : Catholic)
Physical description area
12 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Sts. Peter and Paul Parish was established in the community of Harbour Main, Conception Bay, in 1857. Harbour Main is an amalgamation of the three separate communities of Harbour Main, Chapel Cove and Lakeview, and was settled almost exclusively by an Irish Catholic population. The first chapel was constructed in 1811, by Reverend Thomas Ewer who was stationed at Harbour Grace. From 1811 until 1833, Harbour Main was administered to by visiting priests from Harbour Grace. In 1833 the parish of Brigus was established with Harbour Main as a mission until it was raised to the status of a parish in 1857. Under the supervision of Reverend Richard M. Shean (1911-1927) a church was built to replace the one dating from 1811. The church was completed in 1917 and is still used today.
The first school in Harbour Main was constructed in 1839 and in 1853 three Sisters of the Presentation Order established a convent and founded another school in the community of Chapel Cove; From the mid-1800s to the early 1900s, Sts. Peter and Paul Parish encompassed the area from Turk's Gut to the south side of Holyrood. Although churches and eventually separate parishes were established at Salmon Cove (Avondale), Cat's Cove (Conception Harbour) and Holyrood (Conception Bay), for most of this period the large area of the parish was administered by Harbour Main.
Pastors that have served St. Peter and Paul Parish since its inception include: Kyran Walsh (1857-1868); Jeremiah O'Donnell (1868-1877); Joseph Donnelly (1877-1885); James Brown (1885-1891); Patrick O'Donnell (1891-1906); John Roe (1906-1911); Richard M. Shean (1911-1927); Dwyer (1927-1953); Jeremiah Howard (1958-1969); Linus Coady (1969-1980); James Glavine (1980-1983); Linus Coady (1982-1983, 2nd term); Michael Walsh (1983-1987); William Houlahan (1987-1990); Edward Bromley (1990-1994); Ramon Bolates (1991-1993); Wayne Cummings (1995-1997); Brian Dunn (1996- ).
Scope and content
Fonds consists of baptismal records (1943-1949, 1951); marriage records (1943-1946, 1948, 1949, 1951);, death records (1943-1946, 1948, 1949). Fonds also includes confirmation cards for 1951, 1952 and 1957.
Some records are very fragile.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Restrictions on access may apply. Consult the archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
No further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 7, 2013
Language of description