Fonds - Sts. Peter and Paul Parish (Harbour Main, Newfoundland) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Sts. Peter and Paul Parish (Harbour Main, Newfoundland) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Variations in title: Previously known as the Harbour Main Parish Records fonds
  • Source of title proper: Title based on the Canadian Catholic Church Directory 2001

Level of description


Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1943-1957 (Creation)
    St. Peter and Paul Parish (Harbour Main, N.L. : Catholic)

Physical description area

Physical description

12 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

Sts. Peter and Paul Parish was established in the community of Harbour Main, Conception Bay, in 1857. Harbour Main is an amalgamation of the three separate communities of Harbour Main, Chapel Cove and Lakeview, and was settled almost exclusively by an Irish Catholic population. The first chapel was constructed in 1811, by Reverend Thomas Ewer who was stationed at Harbour Grace. From 1811 until 1833, Harbour Main was administered to by visiting priests from Harbour Grace. In 1833 the parish of Brigus was established with Harbour Main as a mission until it was raised to the status of a parish in 1857. Under the supervision of Reverend Richard M. Shean (1911-1927) a church was built to replace the one dating from 1811. The church was completed in 1917 and is still used today.

The first school in Harbour Main was constructed in 1839 and in 1853 three Sisters of the Presentation Order established a convent and founded another school in the community of Chapel Cove; From the mid-1800s to the early 1900s, Sts. Peter and Paul Parish encompassed the area from Turk's Gut to the south side of Holyrood. Although churches and eventually separate parishes were established at Salmon Cove (Avondale), Cat's Cove (Conception Harbour) and Holyrood (Conception Bay), for most of this period the large area of the parish was administered by Harbour Main.

Pastors that have served St. Peter and Paul Parish since its inception include: Kyran Walsh (1857-1868); Jeremiah O'Donnell (1868-1877); Joseph Donnelly (1877-1885); James Brown (1885-1891); Patrick O'Donnell (1891-1906); John Roe (1906-1911); Richard M. Shean (1911-1927); Dwyer (1927-1953); Jeremiah Howard (1958-1969); Linus Coady (1969-1980); James Glavine (1980-1983); Linus Coady (1982-1983, 2nd term); Michael Walsh (1983-1987); William Houlahan (1987-1990); Edward Bromley (1990-1994); Ramon Bolates (1991-1993); Wayne Cummings (1995-1997); Brian Dunn (1996- ).

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of baptismal records (1943-1949, 1951); marriage records (1943-1946, 1948, 1949, 1951);, death records (1943-1946, 1948, 1949). Fonds also includes confirmation cards for 1951, 1952 and 1957.

Notes area

Physical condition

Some records are very fragile.

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

    Location of originals

    Availability of other formats

    Restrictions on access

    Restrictions on access may apply. Consult the archivist.

    Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

    Finding aids

    Associated materials

    Related materials


    No further accruals expected.

    Alternative identifier(s)

    Standard number

    Standard number

    Access points

    Subject access points

    Place access points

    Name access points

    Genre access points

    Control area

    Description record identifier

    Institution identifier

    Rules or conventions



    Level of detail


    Dates of creation, revision and deletion

    Created - May 7, 2013

    Language of description

    • English

    Script of description


      Accession area