Sts. Peter and Paul Parish (King's Cove, Bonavista Bay)

Área de identidad

Tipo de entidad

Entidade coletiva

Forma autorizada del nombre

Sts. Peter and Paul Parish (King's Cove, Bonavista Bay)

Forma(s) paralela(s) de nombre

Forma(s) normalizada del nombre, de acuerdo a otras reglas

Otra(s) forma(s) de nombre

Identificadores para instituciones

Área de descripción

Fechas de existencia

1815-

Historia

Sts. Peter and Paul Parish was initially established in 1815 with its seat located in the community of King's Cove, Blackhead Bay, Bonavista Bay. The majority of settlers arrived in the early nineteenth century after the St. John's merchant James MacBaine had established a major fishing station in King's Cove. The first resident priest was Reverend James Sinnott who was tenured between 1815 and 1832.

The parish boundaries of Sts. Peter and Paul Parish have altered several times in the nineteenth century. Parish records indicate that the parish existed prior to 1815, extending from Fortune Harbour to Heart's Content, making Sts. Peter and Paul Parish the earliest known Catholic parish north of Harbour Grace. In 1872 the parish boundaries reached from Gambo, Bonavista Bay, in the north to Heart's Ease, Trinity Bay, in the south. During the ministry of Reverend Thomas Lynch (1891-1905) the parish included Blackhead Bay and Plate Cove West. In 1966 the boundaries were reduced as Plate Cove East and Plate Cove West became a separate parish.

Schools formed an integral component of Sts. Peter and Paul's parochial organization. Several schools were built during the residency of Reverend Matthew Scanlan (1855-71). Under the supervision of William Veitch (1875-1891) new schools were constructed in every settlement of the parish. School renovations and building continued under Reverend Thomas Lynch and Reverend John Scully in the late 19th and early 20th century. In the mid 20th century a new central high school was built under the supervision of Reverend Frederick Terry.

Pastors that have served Sts. Peter and Paul Parish since Reverend James Sinnott's tenure include: Nicholas Devereaux (1832-1845); Thomas Waldron (1845-54); William Forrestal (1854-?); Dean Cleary (?-1855); Matthew Scanlan (1855-71); John Walsh (1871); William Veitch (1872-73); Michael Hanley (1873-75); William Veitch (1875-91); Thomas Lynch (1891-1905); John Scully (1905-26); William Murphy (1926-40); William J. Williams (1940-56); Frederick Terry (1956-66); James Beresford (1966-74); David Heale (1975-78); Gregory Pumphery (1978-81); Lawrence George (1981-86); M. Walsh (1986-87); Michael Hynes (1987-93); William Houlahan (1993-97); Brian Colbert (1997- ).

Lugares

Estatuto jurídico

Funciones, ocupaciones y actividades

Mandatos/fuentes de autoridad

Estructura/genealogía interna

Contexto general

Área de relaciones

Área de puntos de acceso

Puntos de acceso por materia

Puntos de acceso por lugar

Occupations

Área de control

Identificador de registro de autoridad

Identificador de la institución

Reglas y/o convenciones usadas

Estado de elaboración

Minuta

Nivel de detalle

Parcial

Fechas de creación, revisión o eliminación

Created - May 22, 2013

Idioma(s)

  • inglés

Escritura(s)

Fuentes

Notas de mantención

  • Portapapeles

  • Exportar

  • EAC

Materias relacionadas

Lugares relacionados