Sts. Peter and Paul Parish (King's Cove, Bonavista Bay)

Identificatie

Soort entiteit

Instelling

Geauthoriseerde naam

Sts. Peter and Paul Parish (King's Cove, Bonavista Bay)

Parallelle vormen van de naam

Gestandaardiseerde naamvorm(en) volgens andere regels.

Aandere naamsvormen

Identificatiecode voor organisaties

Beschrijving

Bestaansperiode

1815-

Geschiedenis

Sts. Peter and Paul Parish was initially established in 1815 with its seat located in the community of King's Cove, Blackhead Bay, Bonavista Bay. The majority of settlers arrived in the early nineteenth century after the St. John's merchant James MacBaine had established a major fishing station in King's Cove. The first resident priest was Reverend James Sinnott who was tenured between 1815 and 1832.

The parish boundaries of Sts. Peter and Paul Parish have altered several times in the nineteenth century. Parish records indicate that the parish existed prior to 1815, extending from Fortune Harbour to Heart's Content, making Sts. Peter and Paul Parish the earliest known Catholic parish north of Harbour Grace. In 1872 the parish boundaries reached from Gambo, Bonavista Bay, in the north to Heart's Ease, Trinity Bay, in the south. During the ministry of Reverend Thomas Lynch (1891-1905) the parish included Blackhead Bay and Plate Cove West. In 1966 the boundaries were reduced as Plate Cove East and Plate Cove West became a separate parish.

Schools formed an integral component of Sts. Peter and Paul's parochial organization. Several schools were built during the residency of Reverend Matthew Scanlan (1855-71). Under the supervision of William Veitch (1875-1891) new schools were constructed in every settlement of the parish. School renovations and building continued under Reverend Thomas Lynch and Reverend John Scully in the late 19th and early 20th century. In the mid 20th century a new central high school was built under the supervision of Reverend Frederick Terry.

Pastors that have served Sts. Peter and Paul Parish since Reverend James Sinnott's tenure include: Nicholas Devereaux (1832-1845); Thomas Waldron (1845-54); William Forrestal (1854-?); Dean Cleary (?-1855); Matthew Scanlan (1855-71); John Walsh (1871); William Veitch (1872-73); Michael Hanley (1873-75); William Veitch (1875-91); Thomas Lynch (1891-1905); John Scully (1905-26); William Murphy (1926-40); William J. Williams (1940-56); Frederick Terry (1956-66); James Beresford (1966-74); David Heale (1975-78); Gregory Pumphery (1978-81); Lawrence George (1981-86); M. Walsh (1986-87); Michael Hynes (1987-93); William Houlahan (1993-97); Brian Colbert (1997- ).

Plaatsen

Rechtsvorm

Functies, beroepen en activiteiten

Mandaat/bronnen van bevoegdheid

Interne structuren / genealogie

Algemene context

relaties

Access points area

Onderwerp trefwoord

Geografische trefwoorden

Occupations

Beheer

Authority record identifier

Identificatiecode van de instelling

Toegepaste regels en/of conventies

Status

Klad

Niveau van detaillering

Gedeeltelijk

Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering

Created - May 22, 2013

Taal (talen)

  • Engels

Schrift(en)

Bronnen

Onderhoudsaantekeningen

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places