Fonds - Sts. Peter and Paul Parish (King's Cove, Bonavista Bay, Newfoundland) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Sts. Peter and Paul Parish (King's Cove, Bonavista Bay, Newfoundland) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Variations in title: Also known as the King's Cove Parish Records fonds
  • Source of title proper: Title based on the Canadian Catholic Church Directory 2001

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1943-1963 (Creation)
    Creator
    Sts. Peter and Paul Parish (King's Cove, Bonavista Bay)

Physical description area

Physical description

12 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1815-)

Administrative history

Sts. Peter and Paul Parish was initially established in 1815 with its seat located in the community of King's Cove, Blackhead Bay, Bonavista Bay. The majority of settlers arrived in the early nineteenth century after the St. John's merchant James MacBaine had established a major fishing station in King's Cove. The first resident priest was Reverend James Sinnott who was tenured between 1815 and 1832.

The parish boundaries of Sts. Peter and Paul Parish have altered several times in the nineteenth century. Parish records indicate that the parish existed prior to 1815, extending from Fortune Harbour to Heart's Content, making Sts. Peter and Paul Parish the earliest known Catholic parish north of Harbour Grace. In 1872 the parish boundaries reached from Gambo, Bonavista Bay, in the north to Heart's Ease, Trinity Bay, in the south. During the ministry of Reverend Thomas Lynch (1891-1905) the parish included Blackhead Bay and Plate Cove West. In 1966 the boundaries were reduced as Plate Cove East and Plate Cove West became a separate parish.

Schools formed an integral component of Sts. Peter and Paul's parochial organization. Several schools were built during the residency of Reverend Matthew Scanlan (1855-71). Under the supervision of William Veitch (1875-1891) new schools were constructed in every settlement of the parish. School renovations and building continued under Reverend Thomas Lynch and Reverend John Scully in the late 19th and early 20th century. In the mid 20th century a new central high school was built under the supervision of Reverend Frederick Terry.

Pastors that have served Sts. Peter and Paul Parish since Reverend James Sinnott's tenure include: Nicholas Devereaux (1832-1845); Thomas Waldron (1845-54); William Forrestal (1854-?); Dean Cleary (?-1855); Matthew Scanlan (1855-71); John Walsh (1871); William Veitch (1872-73); Michael Hanley (1873-75); William Veitch (1875-91); Thomas Lynch (1891-1905); John Scully (1905-26); William Murphy (1926-40); William J. Williams (1940-56); Frederick Terry (1956-66); James Beresford (1966-74); David Heale (1975-78); Gregory Pumphery (1978-81); Lawrence George (1981-86); M. Walsh (1986-87); Michael Hynes (1987-93); William Houlahan (1993-97); Brian Colbert (1997- ).

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of baptismal records (1943-1949, 1951-1954); marriage records (1943-1949, 1951-1954); and death records (1943-1949, 1951-1954) for Sts. Peter and Paul Parish. There are also some confirmation cards (1953-1963) for Kings' Cove and Open Hall.

Notes area

Physical condition

Records showing signs of deterioration.

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Access to the originals may be restricted due to preservation concerns.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

No further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - May 22, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area