Fonds - Sts. Peter and Paul Parish (King's Cove, Bonavista Bay, Newfoundland) fonds

Zone du titre et de la mention de responsabilité

Titre propre

Sts. Peter and Paul Parish (King's Cove, Bonavista Bay, Newfoundland) fonds

Dénomination générale des documents

  • Document textuel

Titre parallèle

Compléments du titre

Mentions de responsabilité du titre

Notes du titre

  • Variations de titre: Also known as the King's Cove Parish Records fonds
  • Source du titre propre: Title based on the Canadian Catholic Church Directory 2001

Niveau de description

Fonds

Cote

Zone de l'édition

Mention d'édition

Mentions de responsabilité relatives à l'édition

Zone des précisions relatives à la catégorie de documents

Mention d'échelle (cartographique)

Mention de projection (cartographique)

Mention des coordonnées (cartographiques)

Mention d'échelle (architecturale)

Juridiction responsable et dénomination (philatélique)

Zone des dates de production

Date(s)

  • 1943-1963 (Production)
    Producteur
    Sts. Peter and Paul Parish (King's Cove, Bonavista Bay)

Zone de description matérielle

Description matérielle

12 cm of textual records

Zone de la collection

Titre propre de la collection

Titres parallèles de la collection

Compléments du titre de la collection

Mention de responsabilité relative à la collection

Numérotation à l'intérieur de la collection

Note sur la collection

Zone de la description archivistique

Nom du producteur

(1815-)

Histoire administrative

Sts. Peter and Paul Parish was initially established in 1815 with its seat located in the community of King's Cove, Blackhead Bay, Bonavista Bay. The majority of settlers arrived in the early nineteenth century after the St. John's merchant James MacBaine had established a major fishing station in King's Cove. The first resident priest was Reverend James Sinnott who was tenured between 1815 and 1832.

The parish boundaries of Sts. Peter and Paul Parish have altered several times in the nineteenth century. Parish records indicate that the parish existed prior to 1815, extending from Fortune Harbour to Heart's Content, making Sts. Peter and Paul Parish the earliest known Catholic parish north of Harbour Grace. In 1872 the parish boundaries reached from Gambo, Bonavista Bay, in the north to Heart's Ease, Trinity Bay, in the south. During the ministry of Reverend Thomas Lynch (1891-1905) the parish included Blackhead Bay and Plate Cove West. In 1966 the boundaries were reduced as Plate Cove East and Plate Cove West became a separate parish.

Schools formed an integral component of Sts. Peter and Paul's parochial organization. Several schools were built during the residency of Reverend Matthew Scanlan (1855-71). Under the supervision of William Veitch (1875-1891) new schools were constructed in every settlement of the parish. School renovations and building continued under Reverend Thomas Lynch and Reverend John Scully in the late 19th and early 20th century. In the mid 20th century a new central high school was built under the supervision of Reverend Frederick Terry.

Pastors that have served Sts. Peter and Paul Parish since Reverend James Sinnott's tenure include: Nicholas Devereaux (1832-1845); Thomas Waldron (1845-54); William Forrestal (1854-?); Dean Cleary (?-1855); Matthew Scanlan (1855-71); John Walsh (1871); William Veitch (1872-73); Michael Hanley (1873-75); William Veitch (1875-91); Thomas Lynch (1891-1905); John Scully (1905-26); William Murphy (1926-40); William J. Williams (1940-56); Frederick Terry (1956-66); James Beresford (1966-74); David Heale (1975-78); Gregory Pumphery (1978-81); Lawrence George (1981-86); M. Walsh (1986-87); Michael Hynes (1987-93); William Houlahan (1993-97); Brian Colbert (1997- ).

Historique de la conservation

Portée et contenu

Fonds consists of baptismal records (1943-1949, 1951-1954); marriage records (1943-1949, 1951-1954); and death records (1943-1949, 1951-1954) for Sts. Peter and Paul Parish. There are also some confirmation cards (1953-1963) for Kings' Cove and Open Hall.

Zone des notes

État de conservation

Records showing signs of deterioration.

Source immédiate d'acquisition

Classement

Langue des documents

  • anglais

Écriture des documents

Localisation des originaux

Disponibilité d'autres formats

Restrictions d'accès

Access to the originals may be restricted due to preservation concerns.

Délais d'utilisation, de reproduction et de publication

Instruments de recherche

Éléments associés

Éléments associés

Accroissements

No further accruals expected.

Identifiant(s) alternatif(s)

Zone du numéro normalisé

Numéro normalisé

Mots-clés

Mots-clés - Sujets

Mots-clés - Noms

Mots-clés - Genre

Zone du contrôle

Identifiant de la description du document

Identifiant du service d'archives

Règles ou conventions

Statut

Ébauche

Niveau de détail

Moyen

Dates de production, de révision et de suppression

Created - May 22, 2013

Langue de la description

  • anglais

Langage d'écriture de la description

Sources

Zone des entrées