Área de título y declaración de responsabilidad
Summerford-Moreton's Harbour Pastoral Charge fonds
Tipo general de material
- Textual record
Otra información de título
Título declaración de responsabilidad
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds
Nivel de descripción
Código de referencia
Área de edición
Declaración de edición
Declaración de responsabilidad de edición
Área de detalles específicos de la clase de material
Mención de la escala (cartográfica)
Mención de proyección (cartográfica)
Mención de coordenadas (cartográfica)
Mención de la escala (arquitectónica)
Jurisdicción de emisión y denominación (filatélico)
Área de fechas de creación
- United Church of Canada. Summerford-Moreton's Harbour Pastoral Charge
Área de descripción física
20.7 cm of textual records
Área de series editoriales
Título apropiado de las series del editor
Títulos paralelos de serie editorial
Otra información de título de las series editoriales
Declaración de responsabilidad relativa a las series editoriales
Numeración dentro de la serie editorial
Nota en las series editoriales
Área de descripción del archivo
Nombre del productor
The Methodist in Moreton's Harbour were at one time all included in what was called the Green Bay circuit. During a visit by Rev. J. S. Addy in 1841, he suggested that Twillingate be made the headquarters for a Mission, and in 1842, Rev. William Marshall was appointed to the new circuit. A chapel was erected at Twillingate in 1844 and by 1855, membership was 199. Chapels were built and dedicated in Moreton's Harbour and Tizzard's Harbour in 1850. There were chapels also being built at Exploits and Change Islands.
In 1865, Moreton's Harbour and Tizzard's Harbour, with a few surrounding communities, became a separate Circuit of the Methodist Church and may have been served by the Methodist Missionary from Exploits. In 1874, a minister was appointed specifically for Moreton's Harbour and nearby outports and since then a minister or lay supply preacher has been allocated to the Charge covering Moreton's Harbour and it was made the head of the circuit. A parsonage was erected at Moreton's Harbour in 1875, and a new church commenced there in 1894-94 during the pastorate of S.J. Russell. This pastoral charge followed the organizational structure of Session, Stewards, Official Board.
The present church at Moreton's Harbour was erected beside the older structure in 1903 and the original church was later torn down. A short distance away, the community of Tizzards Harbour, also had a church. Moreton's Harbour Circuit became a United Church Pastoral Charge in 1925. At the time of the union, the preaching places for this charge were Moreton's Harbour-,Summerford and Tizzard's Harbour. By the late 1950's, the following small communities had been added to this pastoral charge, Trump Island and Western Head.
The pastoral charges of Moreton's Harbour and Summerford were combined by 1970 to form the Summerford-Moreton's Harbour pastoral charge. The Summerford-Moreton's Harbour pastoral charge included communities Tizzard's Harbour, Summerford, Bridgeport, Virgin Arm and Carter's Cove.
Historial de custodia
Moreton's Harbour was first visited from Twillingate and after that it was long connected with the Exploits Circuit. Summerford was connected with Herring Neck until 1923 when it appeared as a separate mission and maintained its own records. Moreton's Harbour became a separate mission in 1874 and the pastoral charge records were maintained there. The pastoral charges of Moreton's Harbour and Summerford were combined in 1970 and Moreton's Harbour maintained the records of this newly formed Charge until the records were transferred to the United Church Conference Archives in November 2000.
Alcance y contenido
These fonds consists of records pertaining to the Summerford-Moreton's Harbour Pastoral Charge. The records relate to the activities of the charge and its functional bodies which included Women's Association activities, Financial Management of the pastoral charge and pastoral charge vital statistics. The majority of the records are in the form of minutes, reports, financial statements and registers.
These fonds are arranged in the following series: Baptism, Marriage and Burial Records, 1874-1992; Board and Committee Records,1841-1974; Membership Records, 1924-1986; Women's Groups Records, 1964-1969; Youth Group Records, 1967-1969; Annual Reports, 1995 and 1996.
Área de notas
Some registers are very fragile.
Origen del ingreso
Idioma del material
Escritura del material
Ubicación de los originales
Disponibilidad de otros formatos
Restricciones de acceso
Condiciones de uso, reproducción, y publicación
Instrumentos de descripción
Finding aid is available.
Other records relating to the Summerford-Moreton's Harbour Pastoral Charge fonds may be found in the Twillingate and Green Bay Records.
Further accruals are expected.
Área de número estándar
Puntos de acceso
Puntos de acceso por autoridad
Tipo de puntos de acceso
Área de control
Identificador de registro de descripción
Identificador de la institución
Reglas o convenciones
Estado de elaboración
Nivel de detalle
Fechas de creación, revisión o eliminación
Created - May 22, 2013
Idioma de descripción