Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade
Summerford-Moreton's Harbour Pastoral Charge fonds
Designação geral do material
- Documento textual
Outra informação do título
Título e menções de responsabilidade
Notas ao título
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds
Nível de descrição
Código de referência
Zona de edição
Menção de edição
Menção de responsabilidade da edição
Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais
Menção da escala (cartográfica)
Menção da projecção (cartográfica)
Menção das coordenadas (cartográfico)
Menção da escala (arquitectura)
Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)
Zona de datas de criação
- United Church of Canada. Summerford-Moreton's Harbour Pastoral Charge
Zona de descrição física
20.7 cm of textual records
Zona dos editores das publicações
Título próprio do recurso continuado
Títulos paralelos das publicações do editor
Outra informação do título das publicações do editor
Menção de responsabilidade relativa ao editor do recurso contínuo
Numeração das publicações do editor
Nota sobre as publicações do editor
Zona da descrição do arquivo
Nome do produtor
The Methodist in Moreton's Harbour were at one time all included in what was called the Green Bay circuit. During a visit by Rev. J. S. Addy in 1841, he suggested that Twillingate be made the headquarters for a Mission, and in 1842, Rev. William Marshall was appointed to the new circuit. A chapel was erected at Twillingate in 1844 and by 1855, membership was 199. Chapels were built and dedicated in Moreton's Harbour and Tizzard's Harbour in 1850. There were chapels also being built at Exploits and Change Islands.
In 1865, Moreton's Harbour and Tizzard's Harbour, with a few surrounding communities, became a separate Circuit of the Methodist Church and may have been served by the Methodist Missionary from Exploits. In 1874, a minister was appointed specifically for Moreton's Harbour and nearby outports and since then a minister or lay supply preacher has been allocated to the Charge covering Moreton's Harbour and it was made the head of the circuit. A parsonage was erected at Moreton's Harbour in 1875, and a new church commenced there in 1894-94 during the pastorate of S.J. Russell. This pastoral charge followed the organizational structure of Session, Stewards, Official Board.
The present church at Moreton's Harbour was erected beside the older structure in 1903 and the original church was later torn down. A short distance away, the community of Tizzards Harbour, also had a church. Moreton's Harbour Circuit became a United Church Pastoral Charge in 1925. At the time of the union, the preaching places for this charge were Moreton's Harbour-,Summerford and Tizzard's Harbour. By the late 1950's, the following small communities had been added to this pastoral charge, Trump Island and Western Head.
The pastoral charges of Moreton's Harbour and Summerford were combined by 1970 to form the Summerford-Moreton's Harbour pastoral charge. The Summerford-Moreton's Harbour pastoral charge included communities Tizzard's Harbour, Summerford, Bridgeport, Virgin Arm and Carter's Cove.
Moreton's Harbour was first visited from Twillingate and after that it was long connected with the Exploits Circuit. Summerford was connected with Herring Neck until 1923 when it appeared as a separate mission and maintained its own records. Moreton's Harbour became a separate mission in 1874 and the pastoral charge records were maintained there. The pastoral charges of Moreton's Harbour and Summerford were combined in 1970 and Moreton's Harbour maintained the records of this newly formed Charge until the records were transferred to the United Church Conference Archives in November 2000.
Âmbito e conteúdo
These fonds consists of records pertaining to the Summerford-Moreton's Harbour Pastoral Charge. The records relate to the activities of the charge and its functional bodies which included Women's Association activities, Financial Management of the pastoral charge and pastoral charge vital statistics. The majority of the records are in the form of minutes, reports, financial statements and registers.
These fonds are arranged in the following series: Baptism, Marriage and Burial Records, 1874-1992; Board and Committee Records,1841-1974; Membership Records, 1924-1986; Women's Groups Records, 1964-1969; Youth Group Records, 1967-1969; Annual Reports, 1995 and 1996.
Zona das notas
Some registers are very fragile.
Fonte imediata de aquisição
Idioma do material
Script do material
Localização de originais
Disponibilidade de outros formatos
Restrições de acesso
Termos que regulam o uso, reprodução e publicação
Instrumentos de descrição
Finding aid is available.
Other records relating to the Summerford-Moreton's Harbour Pastoral Charge fonds may be found in the Twillingate and Green Bay Records.
Further accruals are expected.
Zona do número normalizado
Pontos de acesso
Pontos de acesso - Nomes
Pontos de acesso de género
Zona do controlo
Descrição do identificador do registo
Identificador da instituição
Regras ou convenções
Nível de detalhe
Datas de criação, revisão ou eliminação
Created - May 22, 2013
Idioma da descrição