Title and statement of responsibility area
Trinity Benefit Club fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Supplied title based on provenance
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Trinity Benefit Club (Trinity, N.L.)
Physical description area
32 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Trinity Benefit Club was formed in February 1838, at a meeting held in the old Court House at Trinity, by Reverend William Bullock, incumbent of the Trinity Mission, and other members of the town. At the first meeting 76 people were enrolled in the club, officers were elected. and Rev. Bullock became the first president.
The purpose of the club was to provide relief and assistance to members and their families in case of sickness and death. The club received its present name in 1846, being previously known as The Trinity Club and the Independence Club. The club was nondenominational and was “the very essence of brotherhood”. The Club flag, which was probably designed by Rev. William Bullock, depicts the shamrock, thistle and rose joined in unity.
Membership in the club was open to male residents within a certain age range, who resided within the area from English Harbour to British Harbour. The club continues to meet twice a year on Candlemas Day and All Saint’s Day. The Trinity Benefit Club is unique to Trinity. With no outside affiliation it has maintained a healthy financial record and strong membership for over 160 years.
In 2003 the club celebrated its 165th anniversary.
Source: The Trinity Benefit Club fonds.
The records of the Trinity Benefit were kept in the custody of the officials of the Club.
Scope and content
The fonds consists of the administrative and operational records of the Trinity Benefit Club from its inception in 1838, until the present. The bound volumes include the original rules and regulations of the club, minutes of meetings, treasurers accounts, enrollment, dues, and benefits. The files contain correspondence, applications and proposals for membership, notes and loose accounts, as well as clippings and photographs from the 150th Anniversary celebration of the club in 1988. One file contains material on the Trinity Benefit Club collected and created by Walter G. C. White. It includes news clippings, some extracts from Slade Diaries, Centennial posters, Rules and Regulations and a scrapbook on the History of the Trinity Club by Rev. Canon Lockyer, which includes photographs of many of its presidents.
The records have been organized in four series: Series 1, Rules, regulations and minutes, 1838- 1983; Series 2, Treasurer's records, 1838-1877; Series 3, Membership, 1844-1966; Series 4, General files, 1869-1988.
Immediate source of acquisition
Donated by the Trinity Benefit Club.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Sensitive material may be restricted.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright held by the Trinity Benefit Club. It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain copyright clearance.
No finding aid available.
Two flags of the Trinity Benefit Club are also in the possession of the Trinity Historical Society Archives.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - April 30, 2013
Language of description