Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Britannia pastoral charge includes communities of Aspen Brook, Snooks Harbour, Elliott's Cove and Weymouth. It was first mentioned in the writings of Rev. T.W. Atkinson in 1876 when he reported that he had preached at the new church at Britannia Cove. For a number of years Britannia land Foster's Point were combined to form the Britannia and Foster's Point pastoral charge.
In 1902, a new church was dedicated at Britannia Cove and in 1911 a new church was opened at Foster's Point. Boundary changes within the pastoral charges over the years had many small communities popping in and out of the Britannia pastoral charge . The Minutes of 1920 stated that Britannia was to include all placed on Random South that wasn't included in the Shoal Harbour Mission. These communities included Britannia, Foster's Point, Hickman's Harbour and Lady Cove.
At the time of the union of the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregational churches to form the United Church of Canada in 1925, Britannia was still connected with Foster's Point and the charge had a membership of 184 families with seven preaching points. By 1935, Britannia was a entity onto itself and the minister was administering to six preaching places.
In recent years some churches on Upper Random Island were beginning to need costly repairs, some congregations were growing smaller and it was becoming harder and harder to keep all churches open. Transportation was now no longer a problem so the idea of uniting congregations began.
In 1986 a survey was made among the congregations, and, after much consideration and soul searching, the communities of Aspen Brook, Snooks Harbour, Elliott's Cove and Weybridge decided to unite, to form one congregation, and build a new church, centrally located.
The closing of the four churches brought sadness to many people, but it was with joy and much pride they attended the official opening and dedication of Central United on June 25, 1989. With the new church have come many wonderful things: a growing Sunday School, an active U.C.W., a choir, and good attendance at every service. By the side of the Central is a platform where rests four bells, a testimony to the four small churches whose congregations have become one to worship God and grow in fellowship together.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Identifier of the related entity
Category of the relationship
Dates of the relationship
Description of relationship
Access points area
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion