Type of entity
Authorized form of name
United Church of Canada. Summerford-Moreton's Harbour Pastoral Charge
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
The Methodist in Moreton's Harbour were at one time all included in what was called the Green Bay circuit. During a visit by Rev. J. S. Addy in 1841, he suggested that Twillingate be made the headquarters for a Mission, and in 1842, Rev. William Marshall was appointed to the new circuit. A chapel was erected at Twillingate in 1844 and by 1855, membership was 199. Chapels were built and dedicated in Moreton's Harbour and Tizzard's Harbour in 1850. There were chapels also being built at Exploits and Change Islands.
In 1865, Moreton's Harbour and Tizzard's Harbour, with a few surrounding communities, became a separate Circuit of the Methodist Church and may have been served by the Methodist Missionary from Exploits. In 1874, a minister was appointed specifically for Moreton's Harbour and nearby outports and since then a minister or lay supply preacher has been allocated to the Charge covering Moreton's Harbour and it was made the head of the circuit. A parsonage was erected at Moreton's Harbour in 1875, and a new church commenced there in 1894-94 during the pastorate of S.J. Russell. This pastoral charge followed the organizational structure of Session, Stewards, Official Board.
The present church at Moreton's Harbour was erected beside the older structure in 1903 and the original church was later torn down. A short distance away, the community of Tizzards Harbour, also had a church. Moreton's Harbour Circuit became a United Church Pastoral Charge in 1925. At the time of the union, the preaching places for this charge were Moreton's Harbour-,Summerford and Tizzard's Harbour. By the late 1950's, the following small communities had been added to this pastoral charge, Trump Island and Western Head.
The pastoral charges of Moreton's Harbour and Summerford were combined by 1970 to form the Summerford-Moreton's Harbour pastoral charge. The Summerford-Moreton's Harbour pastoral charge included communities Tizzard's Harbour, Summerford, Bridgeport, Virgin Arm and Carter's Cove.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 22, 2013