Basilica-Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (St. John's, N.L.)

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Basilica-Cathedral of St. John the Baptist (St. John's, N.L.)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1793-1998

History

On 5 June 1784, Newfoundland was made an independent ecclesiastical territory/mission with its establishment as a Prefecture Apostolic. The arrival of Rev. James Louis O'Donel, the newly appointed prefect of Newfoundland, in St. John's in that same year is generally recognized as the date of the founding of the parish currently known as Basilica-Cathedral of St. John the Baptist. However, the name of this original St. John's-based parish is uncertain. Records comprising the fonds only make reference to the "Old Chapel" (on Henry Street) that acted as the first parish church and later cathedral when the Diocese of Newfoundland was erected on 4 June 1847. It also is unclear whether this original entity actually was established as an official parish in 1784 or as some other less formal unit (references exist to the District of St. John's). Certainly, by 1847, with the erection of Newfoundland as a Diocese, a formal parish existed in St. John's.

The Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, constructed between 1841 and 1855 (consecrated on 9 September 1855), replaced the "Old Chapel," and in 1955 was raised to the rank of Minor Basilica, giving rise to the parish's current name, Basilica-Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish (more popularly known as the Cathedral Parish and, later, the Basilica Parish).

The original parish boundaries stretched from La Manche to Holyrood and over time have undergone several changes. The most recent occurred in 1998 when St. Joseph's, located in the East End of St. John's, was suppressed and its congregation absorbed by the Basilica Parish. Currently, the parish boundaries include Pleasantville, Quidi Vidi, and the downtown core.

The Basilica Parish was active in the establishment and administration of schools within its boundaries, including Our Lady of Mercy, Presentation, St. Patrick's Hall, St. Bonaventure's, Holy Heart of Mary, and Brother Rice schools. The Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Congregation (the Presentation Sisters), the Sisters of Mercy, and the Irish Christian Brothers also were closely affiliated with parish and educational affairs, supervising many of these parochial schools and participating in the general operations of the parish.

The Basilica Parish has also maintained close relations with numerous societies and organizations active within its geographical boundaries. Such past and present bodies include the Purgatorial Society, the Confraternity of the Most Holy Rosary, the Catholic Cadet Corps (CCC), the St. Vincent de Paul Society, the Third Order of St. Francis, the Total Abstinence and Benefit Society, the Propagation of the Faith Society, the Blessed Virgin Mary Society, the Legion of Mary, the Catholic Women's League (CWL), and the Knights of Columbus (KOC). Thus, the operations of the parish are intimately intertwined with several allied lay societies and organizations (the above enumeration is not exhaustive).

Structurally, the parish is currently organized along lines similar to most Roman Catholic parishes, including a Parish Pastoral Council, a Finance Committee, and a Liturgy Committee. These bodies are comprised of clergy and members of the laity, established to administer pastoral concerns and affairs. Other bodies found in the parish include the Service Committee, the Restoration Committee, the Family Care Centre and the Hospitality Committee.

The oldest parish in Newfoundland, the Basilica Parish forms part of the Archdiocese of St. John's and is the seat of the Archbishop. Thus, the parish is somewhat unique in that parish and archdiocesan affairs often converge. While the Basilica Parish is administered by an appointed priest entrusted with the pastoral care of the community, the Archbishop, officially, is the chief pastor with his cathedra (or throne) located in the Basilica-Cathedral.

The following is a list of the prelates who have presided over the Basilica Parish: James L. O'Donel, prefect and later vicar Apostolic of Newfoundland (1784-1807); Patrick Lambert, vicar Apostolic of Newfoundland (1807-1816); Thomas Scallan, vicar Apostolic of Newfoundland (1816-1830); Michael A. Fleming, vicar Apostolic and later Bishop of Newfoundland (1830-1850); John T. Mullock, Bishop of Newfoundland and later St. John's (1850-1869); Thomas J. Power, Bishop of St. John's (1870-1893); Michael F. Howley, Bishop and later Archbishop of St. John's (1895-1914); Edward P. Roche, Archbishop of St. John's (1915-1950); Patrick J. Skinner, Archbishop of St. John's (1951-1979); Alphonsus L. Penney, Archbishop of St. John's (1979-1991); James H. MacDonald, Archbishop of St. John's (1991-2000); and Brendan O'Brien, Archbishop of St. John's (2000- ).

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Ahern, William (1860-1907)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Brennan, Thomas Francis (1855-1916)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

St. Joseph's Parish (Roman Catholic), Petty Harbour (NL) (1884-)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

The Basilica has records predating the establishment of St. Joseph's.

Related entity

St. Teresa's Parish (St. John's, N.L. : Catholic) (1930-)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Holy Trinity Parish (Torbay, N.L. : Catholic) ([18-]-)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

The Basilica has records predating the establishment of Holy Trinity Parish.

Related entity

Corpus Christi Parish (St. John's, N.L. : Catholic) (1917-)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

The Basilica has records prior to establishment of Corpus Christi.

Related entity

St. Patrick's Parish (Witless Bay, N.L. : Catholic) (1831-1996)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

The Basilica has records predating establishment of St. Patrick's Parish.

Related entity

O'Donel, Michael (1777-1832)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

St. Patrick's Parish (St. John's, N.L. : Catholic) (1881-)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

The Basilica has records predating establishment of St. Patrick's.

Related entity

St. Joseph's Parish (St. John's, N.L. : Catholic) (1907-1998)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

The Basilica has records predating the establishment of St. Joseph's.

Related entity

Vereker, John T. (1823-1867)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Related entity

Scallan, Thomas (1765-1830)

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

associative

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - April 22, 2013

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places