Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Anglican Parish of Bay of Islands
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
From 1841 to 1865, the Bay of Islands area was the responsibility of the Bay St. George mission. In 1865, a missionary was sent to the Bay of Islands by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel. The Bay of Islands Parish (now St. Mary's Parish) was established at Birchy Cove (later renamed Curling and now part of Corner Brook).
The records of the Bay of Islands parish, which also had responsibility for Bonne Bay, were lost through fire in 1870. Rev. Ulric Rule, who had performed most of the baptisms and marriages from 1865 to 1870, was able to compile, from memory, a list of most of the names
With the opening of the pulp and paper mill in Corner Brook in 1925, a new parish was established there.
The location of the records is kept with the parishes to which they belonged during the history of the restructuring of Bay of Islands and related parishes.
St. Ambrose (Frenchman's Cove/John's Beach)
St. James (York Harbour/Lark Harbour)
St. Mary the Virgin (Curling) (1957-198?)
Frenchman's Cove, John's Beach, York Harbour, Lark Harbour, Curling