United Church of Canada. Deer Lake Pastoral Charge.

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

United Church of Canada. Deer Lake Pastoral Charge.

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1925-

History

Deer Lake Pastoral Charge was formed in 1925 in the Humber Presbytery, Newfoundland and Labrador Conference of the United Church of Canada. The first minister was Rev. Stanley Tiller, and his appointments were Deer Lake and Howley. The Deer Lake congregation had been part of the Bay of Islands Mission since 1915.

Deer Lake is central between the Bay of Islands Mission and the White Bay Mission; congregations from both areas were, therefore, brought into the Deer Lake Pastoral Charge at its formation. The Howley congregation was part of that original charge. The first church was dedicated in Howley in 1929. Before that, church functions and services were held in the school house. With the exception of 1962-1977, when it was part of the Hampden Pastoral Charge, Howley remained in the pastoral charge until 1982 when it became part of the Pasadena-Howley Pastoral Charge.

In 1935, the congregation of South Brook was added to the Deer Lake Pastoral Charge. Midland was listed as part of the charge in the United Church yearbook of 1937, and Humber Valley was listed in 1948. Hampden also became a congregation of the charge in 1948. It separated and became the Hampden Pastoral Charge in 1962, but was re-united with the Deer Lake charge from 1977 to 1980. In 1980, it formed part of the Pasadena-Hampden Pastoral Charge, and then was incorporated into the Hampden-Sop's Arm Pastoral Charge. Meanwhile, Cormack was transferred from the Hampden Pastoral Charge to the Deer Lake Pastoral charge in 1973.

In 1955, a second church, St. Paul's United Church, was opened in Deer Lake. The congregation of that church grew over the next three decades to such an extent that by 1984, it comprised the only congregation in the Deer Lake Pastoral Charge.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - April 24, 2013

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places