Women's Missionary Society

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Women's Missionary Society

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1881-1962

History

The Women's Missionary Society (WMS) of the Methodist Church of Canada had been organized in Hamilton, Ontario, on 8 Nov. 1881. In Newfoundland, in 1882, Rev. T. H. Janes, minister, George Street Church, St. John's, organized the first Auxiliary in Newfoundland with Mrs. John Steer, President, Miss Julia Milligan, Secretary, and a membership of twenty-five.

Other Auxiliaries followed and on 18 Nov. 1915, the Newfoundland Branch was formed. By the time of church union in 1925, the total membership of the organization - Auxiliaries, Mission Circles, Mission Bands, and Little Light Bearers was 4,124.

The Women's Missionary Society brought together in 1925, with Church Union, the Women's Missionary Societies of both the Presbyterian Church and Methodist Church, as well as the Canada Congregational Women's Board of Missions. The aims of the organization were wide-ranging, and involved youth, the community, and overseas mission work.

By 1962 when the WMS and the Woman's Association were disbanded and the United Church Women took their place, the work of the WMS was quite extensive. In addition to the usual office holders, Departments of the organization included Christian Stewardship, Mission Circles, Canadian Girls in Training and Explorer groups, Mission and Baby Bands, Associate Members, Supply, Community Friendship, Literature, Candidate Secretary, Missionary Monthly and World Friends, Christian Citizenship, and Press. Organization of the groups parallelled the organization of the United Church, with Conference, Presbytery, and congregational levels of the WMS.

At Cochrane Street congregation, the organization was part of the church from the beginning. The whereabouts of the majority of the records of the WMS at Cochrane Street are unknown. However, Board documents demonstrate the extensive involvement of the women within the church in this organization. The group at Cochrane Street celebrated their silver (25th) anniversary on 5 Mar. 1924, and continued as an organization until it was superseded by the United Church Women in 1962.

The annual reports of the congregation give a summary of the work of this organization as do the various Boards and Committees of the church.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - June 27, 2013

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places