Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Anglican Parish of Bonavista (Bonavista, N.L. : Anglican)
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
In 1723, Rev. Henry Jones was appointed the first residing clergyman in Bonavista, three years later he established the first school in Newfoundland. In 1736, the first Anglican Church was built and during his first eight years he baptized 119 people.
In 1740, Rev. W. Peasley was appointed Rector of the Parish. After his departure in 1744 there was no resident clergyman at Bonavista for the next seventy years and services were carried out by three devoted laymen: Abraham Ackerman, Thomas Gaylor and Dr. Clinch.
The second church was built by a Mr. Joseph Brown at his own expense in the year 1822 and the third church was built during the ministry of Rev. A. E. C. Bayley in 1862, the fourth church in 1931 and the present church during the ministry of Rev. Charles Green.
Functions, occupations and activities
Mandates/sources of authority
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - August 21, 2013