Collection APL 006 - Battle Harbour collection

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Battle Harbour collection

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of collection

Level of description

Collection

Reference code

CA Them Days APL 006

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1832, 1904, 1941 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

1 cm textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1832, 1904, 1941)

Administrative history

Battle Harbour, formerly a permanent settlement, is a summer fishing settlement on the coast of southeastern Labrador. According to legend the Montagnais aided by the French fought their last battle here against the Inuit, circa 1960. It is not known when Battle Harbour was first established as a European settlement but by 1785 a sealing station operated there and the community grew with emphasis on the seal and cod fishery. In 1850, Labrador mission headquarters was set up in Battle Harbour and a school constructed shortly after. In 1857, the church, St. James, was built and in 1893 a hospital, one of the first in Labrador, was built there. In 1918, the first co-operative, established by Dr. Wilfred Grenfell, challenged the merchants' previous monopoly and aided the settlement's heavily indebted fishermen. In the fall of 1930, Battle Harbour was destroyed by fire and a new school, hospital and outbuildings were rebuilt at Mary's Harbour, 11km away from Battle Harbour, on the mainland. The relocation of these services as well as the decline in salmon and cod fisheries led to the resettlement of Battle Harbour in other areas under the Fisheries Household Resettlement Program, circa 1966. In 1980 Battle Harbour was the site of a year round government weather station. In the 1990's Battle Harbour was declared an historic site and underwent a restoration program to preserve the history of the area.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Collection consists of diary covering weather reports, fishery reports and general activities (1832); newsletter entitled "Battle Harbour Bi-Annual Boomerang" (1904); Newfoundland Rangers' Battle Harbour detachment diary for January, February, March, and April (1941).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by Newton B. Morgan (file 1), Dean Ian E. Rusted, MUN in 1993 (file 2), and Herbert Hardy in 1993 (file 3)

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Originals stored in other repositories

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Much material in THEM DAYS Archives has copyright protection. Researchers must obtain permission from copyright holders before publication in any form.

Finding aids

File lists and subject indexes are available

Associated materials

THEM DAYS Vol. 6.2, 6.3, 6.4; photograph collection

Related materials

Accruals

Possibility of further accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

2016-03-04

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area