Fonds - Canadian Girls in Training fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Canadian Girls in Training fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Object
  • Graphic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1943-1995, predominant [196-?]-1995 (Creation)
    Creator
    Canadian Girls in Training

Physical description area

Physical description

20 cm of textual records
35 PH-2
3 artifacts

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1915 -)

Administrative history

Canadian Girls in Training (CGIT) was begun in 1915 in war-time Western Canada when young people were anxious to be of service to the war effort. Boys’ work had already been organized in the form of Trail Ranger and Tuxis groups, and girls wanted their own program.

The idea of CGIT was put forward by a group of Christian leaders - Anglican, Baptist, Methodist, and Presbyterian, and by the YM/YWCA. These representatives wanted to create a Christian educational program that would meet the needs of girls 12-17 across Canada. The organization was copyrighted in 1919 and produced its own uniform and pin. The CGIT magazine - “The Torch” - was begun in 1924. The annual Christmas Vesper Service, which provides much of the funding for CGIT nationally was begun in 1940. In 1943 NGIT participated in this service for the first time.

In Newfoundland, the group was called Newfoundland Girls in Training, with the first group being formed in 1923. In 1949 the NGIT members became known as CGIT members.

Since 1947, CGIT had been one of the committees of the Canadian Council of Churches (CCC), Department of Christian Education. This brought about two benefits - the national CGIT Committee contributed and shared in the output and high quality of youth work resources, and CGIT received from the CCC the reminder of broader horizons. The CCC is a member of the World Council of Churches and this adds a further dimension to the scope of the program.

In 1973, streamlining of the national CGIT Committee took place - the 20 members now met biannually to discuss and shape CGIT policy. This Committee is composed of two representatives and one youth from each participating denomination - Baptist, Disciples of Christ, Presbyterian, and United Church, in addition to each province or region sending a committee member. National executive members and national Executive Secretary sit on the Committee.

All provincial CGIT Committees, including Newfoundland, are answerable to the national committee and direct policies, that are national in scope, to the groups within their jurisdiction. They serve as a link between the national committee and groups within each province. This provincial committee also passes on suggestions and needs from the local groups to the national body. In some places where there is a large number of groups there may be a CGIT committee to oversee the work of these regional groups within the provinces; these regional committees are answerable to the provincial committee.

At all levels, there may be subcommittees of the regional, provincial, and national committees to deal with such topics as camp, leadership training, promotion, missionary education, and finance.

Custodial history

Scope and content

The records consist of records of the provincial CGIT committee, including Camp Council, and comprise a constitution, newsletters, reports, minutes, financial statements and miscellaneous printed material. Series 2 consists of 33 photographs and 17 35 mm slides ([198-]-199-]). It also contains published material and several artifacts (1943-1975).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Material is described to the file level, with the exception of the artifacts, which are described to the item level. Photographs have been photocopied; these photocopies are located in Photograph Binder 6.

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - May 7, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres