Title and statement of responsibility area
Channel Pastoral Charge fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Based on contents of the fonds.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1857-1996 (predominate 1857-1921) (Creation)
- United Church of Canada. Channel Pastoral Charge
Physical description area
40 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
In 1851, the English Wesleyan Methodist Conference created a mission at Channel under the supervision of the Wesleyan Missionary Society. From 1816 to 1839, the area had been ministered from the Fortune Bay Mission, headquartered at Grand Bank. After 1839, it had fallen under the jurisdiction of the Western Shore Mission, headquartered at Hermitage, until becoming a mission in its own right.
At the time of the mission's formation, the Methodist congregation consisted of only five members. By 1858, however, 89 of Channel's population of 211 were Wesleyans.
The administration of the mission was organized into a structure commonly used by Methodists at the time. At a meeting of the Methodist Society in 1862, Edward George was appointed circuit steward; Brother Thomas Major replaced Brother John Evans as leader of the male class; and Sister Mary George was appointed leader of the female class. By 1871, Quarterly Board meetings were taking place.
The boundaries of missions in the general region changed frequently. For example, Channel was sometimes aligned with the St. George's area and other times with Petites and Grand Bruit. In 1857, Rev. Charles Comben was stationed on the Western Shore and spent one-third of his time at Channel. From 1866 to 1869, Channel was supplied from Petites; from 1870-1873 Petites was supplied from Channel.
Chapels, schools, and churches soon followed the formation of the mission. By 1851, Petites had a chapel and a congregation of 48. In 1862, a visiting minister at Petities reported "...a beautiful church capable of holding more than the population, a most substantial schoolhouse [with students] whom we examined and found them receiving an excellent education, a house erected for a teacher and another for a parsonage." In 1885, construction began on a new church in Channel, and it was dedicated in 1899. A Channel Circuit report in 1893 noted a church under construction at Codroy, a new school in planning at Isle aux Morts, and a school/church nearing completion at Fox Roost. In 1906, a new parsonage was built in Channel, and by 1921, a new school building was opened there.
In 1925, the mission became a pastoral charge in the United Church of Canada Newfoundland Conference. At the time of Union, the charge was called Channel-St. George's with congregations at Channel, St. George's, Boswarlos, Heatherton, and Port aux Basques. From the mid 1920s until the 1980s, Channel Pastoral Charge included the Channel congregation only. In the 1980s, Petites once again became part of the charge.
Records from Channel remained in the charge until they were turned over to the archives sometime after its formation in the mid 1960s. The records for Petites and Grand Bruit remained in Petites until after it became part of the Channel pastoral charge in the 1980s.
Scope and content
Fonds consist of records relating to the functional bodies of the Charge which include various boards, and committees. Included are vital statistics, minutes, and financial records.
The records are arranged in the following series: Series 1.0 Channel Pastoral Charge baptism, marriage and Burial registers (1862-1981); Series 2.0 Petites and Grand Bruit baptism, marriage and burial registers (1857-1988); Series 3.0 Miscellaneous minutes and accounts (1859-1883, 1908-1921), and Series 4.0 Annual reports, (1994, 1996).
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Photocopies of vital statistics registers have been made. Use of originals by researcher only by permission of the archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Archives inventory list.
Other records relating to the Channel Pastoral Charge can be found in the Burgeo Pastoral Charge fonds, and St. Georges Pastoral Charge fonds. Rev. J. Newman fonds contains baptism's, marriages, and burial records, 1893-1895.
Standard number area
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 21, 2013
Language of description