Tessier, Charles W.T. (William Hutchings)

Identity area

Type of entity

Person

Authorized form of name

Tessier, Charles W.T. (William Hutchings)

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

fl.1894-1909

History

Charles W.H. Tessier (fl. 1894-1909), merchant, operated a fish export business under his own name in St. John's, Newfoundland. The company had formerly been known as P. & L. Tessier, founded in 1847 by Peter and Lewis Tessier. Charles Tessier was a nephew of Lewis Tessier, identified in his will (1884) as a potential heir.

Initially the Tessier business had been modest, but after 1850 the firm became heavily involved in the salt cod trade. By the 1870s P. & L. Tessier had become one of the largest supply and export firms in Newfoundland. In 1871 and 1873 respectively, the Tessiers exported 106,000 and 76,980 quintals of fish from St. John's. The firm continued for some years after Peter Tessier's death, but folded in 1893.

Following the bank crash of 1894, Charles William Hutchings Tessier commenced his own business. By 1936 the business was operating out of an office on Water Street as commission merchants and insurance agents.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - May 3, 2013

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places