Fonds - Church of England Women’s Association (CEWA), All Saints (English Harbour) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Church of England Women’s Association (CEWA), All Saints (English Harbour) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Supplied title based on provenance

Level of description


Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1896-1903, 1925-1996 (Creation)
    Church of England Women's Association (English Harbour, N.L.)

Physical description area

Physical description

5.7 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

The Church of England Women’s Association (C.E.W.A) was founded in 1876 at Heart’s Content. The C.E.W.A promoted Christian unity and fellowship at home and overseas. The C.E.W.A was formed in English Harbour December 19th, 1925 and an Altar Guild was formed in May 1929, eight women from the congregation attended the first meeting. The group was formed with the purpose of changing and preparing the altar and work included cleaning the brass and making new altar cloths. The Guild also carried out other work such as sewing, knitting, embroidery, etc. that they sold at their regular sales of work at Easter and during the Fall of the year. Proceeds from these sales were donated to various charities at home and abroad as well as contributions were made to the Rector’s stipend and church repairs.

The organization became known as the Anglican Church Women’s Association, (A.C.W.A), after restructuring in 1969. In 1976 the word “Association” was omitted and a new organization was formed, the Anglican Church Women (A.C.W.). The A.C.W. closed in English Harbour in the late 1990's due to the small number of members in the organization.

Custodial history

The original records are stored at All Saints Anglican Church, English Harbour. Permission was received from Rev. John Gilliam, Rector, Anglican Parish of Port Rexton to have these records copied for the archives.

Scope and content

The records have been organized into four series according to form and function: Series 1: Record of Sales, 1896-1903, 1925-1996; Series 2: All Saints Guild, 1929-1985; Series 3: C.E.W.A, 1985-1996; and Series 4: Miscellaneous, 1955-1956, 1984-1986, 1991-1993.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by the Rector of the Anglican Parish of Port Rexton, Rev. J. Gilliam, August 2004.


Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions



Level of detail


Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - August 19, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres