81 Cochrane Street
St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador
CA A1C 3L7
Cochrane Street United Church Archives
The Cochrane Street United Church Archives was established in 2003.
To care for the records created by the board, committees and organizations of the church, to appropriately preserve and describe them in accordance with professional archival standards and practices, and to promote the history of the congregation both within the congregation and in the community.
The holdings consist of the records of the congregation, its boards, committees and organizations, including church registers, minutes, annual reports, records of the Sunday School, CGIT, Explorers, choirs, women's and men's groups, service bulletins and photographs. The records date from 1886.
The Archives holdings have been described according to Rules for Archival Description. A Finding Aid is available. Pamphlets describing various aspects of the history of the church, including the construction of the present building, memorial plaques, stained glass windows and the organ are available.
Open by appointment only.
Described records are accessible to researchers. Access restrictions may be imposed for reasons of privacy, conservation or other concerns.
Our church was built in 1916 at a time when members of the church lived in relatively close proximity and walked to Sunday worship services. Consequently, there is only limited surface parking on church property, located at the rear of the church off Bannerman Street.
We are located in a predominantly residential neighbourhood in the east end of downtown St. John’s. There are generally no parking restrictions on the surrounding streets during regular Sunday worship times. If you choose to park on the street, please pay attention to parking signage and please do not block residential driveways.
There are also several public-use parking lots in close proximity to the church, including the following:
P1 - Association of Registered Nurses of NL (used on Sundays by permission)
P2 - Colonial Building
P3 - Bannerman Street Park
P4 - Bishop Field School
Created - May 15, 2013