Waterford Bridge Road
St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador
CA A1C 5P5
Congregation of the Sisters of Mercy Archives
The Congregation of the Sisters of Mercy was founded in Dublin, Ireland by Catherine McAuley on December 12, 1831. At the request of Bishop M.A. Fleming, three sisters made a foundation in St. John's on June 3, 1842 to open schools as well as visit the sick and the poor in their homes. Their first school opened at Mercy Convent, Military Road on May 1, 1843. From this nucleus, other convents were opened throughout the province.
Through the years the Sisters of Mercy were engaged primarily in the teaching and nursing professions. In recent years their main focus has been in Pastoral Ministries in various localities in the province of Newfoundland and Labrador and in Peru.
The Archives and Heritage Centre collects all materials dealing with the history of the Congregation and of those members who have made significant contributions to society in their particular milieu. These materials include: Annals of each Mercy convent in the province and in Peru; books, periodicals, manuscripts; Sisters' theses and articles written by and/or about the Sisters of Mercy; account books from the convents; photographs and artifacts.
Created - April 9, 2013
2001 ANLA Members Institutions Directory