Title and statement of responsibility area
Corpus Christi Parish (St. John's, N.L.) fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
- Architectural drawing
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on canonical decree found in the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
1920-1994, predominant 1948-1978 (Creation)
- Corpus Christi Parish (St. John's, N.L. : Catholic)
Physical description area
12 cm of textual records
19 photographs: b&w
8 architectural drawings
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Kilbride Mission, the predecessor body to Corpus Christi Parish, was founded circa 1863 by Bishop John T. Mullock. A stone church, dedicated to St. Bride, was built in what is now Kilbride Cemetery on Bay Bulls Road; Bishop Mullock celebrated the first mass in the new church on 1 February 1863. St. Bride's was destroyed by fire in 1892; however, mass continued to be celebrated in a school building located near the Kilbride Cemetery. The Kilbride Mission was administered from the Cathedral Parish between 1863 and 1872 and later from St. Patrick's Parish between 1872 and 1917. In 1917, Archbishop Roche elevated Corpus Christi to the status of an independent parish.
Corpus Christi initially was without a church of its own. The Parish made a financial contribution towards the expenses of the Chapel at Littledale, part of the Sisters of Mercy St. Bride's Convent complex, and used the facility as a parish church until the construction of the present-day structure located at 260 Waterford Bridge Road, St. John's (dedicated on 19 August 1923 to Corpus Christi).
Under the denominational education system, Corpus Christi Parish maintained close connections with the Catholic schools operating within its boundaries. These included St. Joseph's Elementary School, St. Augustine's Elementary School, and St. Bride's Academy. In 1975, St. Joseph's was closed and replaced by Beaconsfield Elementary.
Societies and associations active within the parish have included the Holy Name Society, the Ladies' Association (formerly St. Anne's Society), the Altar Guild, the Legion of Mary, the St. Vincent de Paul Society, the Catholic Women's League, and the Knights of Columbus (this list is not exhaustive).
When Corpus Christi Church was dedicated in 1917, it was situated in Kilbride, an unincorporated agricultural and residential community near St. John's. Today, Kilbride forms part of the City of St. John's and the parish boundaries have been altered several times in response to changing demographic trends in the city. On 1 January 1986, Archbishop Alphonsus L. Penney issued a decree of dismemberment, dividing Corpus Christi to create the new Parish of St. Matthew's in the Cowan Heights area. The boundaries of Corpus Christi also have been altered to assist in maintaining the viability of St. Patrick's Parish.
Pastors who have served Corpus Christi Parish since its establishment include: James Coady (1917-1920); John J. Rawlins (1920-1957); John W. McGettigan (1957-1969); Dermot O'Keefe (1969-1985); Francis Slattery (1985-1989); Kevin Molloy (1989-2000); Wayne Dohey (2000-2001); and Kenneth Walsh (2001- ).
The Corpus Christi Parish Pastoral Council, comprised of elected members and representatives of parish societies and associations, assists the pastor in making decisions affecting the life of the parish and, therefore, is at the centre of parish operations.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of correspondence relating to church repairs and maintenance, building projects, St. Joseph's Elementary School, the parish hall, appointments and resignations, and other general parish operations and activities (1920, 1947-78); canonical decrees and correspondence relating to parish boundaries (1977-85); newspaper clippings relating to the history of the parish (1951-53, 1984-88); church bulletins (1994); architectural drawings (1946-74); and 19 black and white photographs.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Restrictions on access may apply. Consult the archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Box list available
See Basilica-Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish fonds and St. Patrick's Parish fonds for records created prior to the establishment of Corpus Christi Parish. See also St. Matthew's Parish fonds for records created after the dismemberment of Corpus Christi in 1986.
The fonds is open. Further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - April 24, 2013
Language of description