Área de identidad
Tipo de entidad
Forma autorizada del nombre
Anglican Diocesan Synod Of Western Newfoundland
Forma(s) paralela(s) de nombre
Forma(s) normalizada del nombre, de acuerdo a otras reglas
Otra(s) forma(s) de nombre
Identificadores para instituciones
Área de descripción
Fechas de existencia
In its early church life, Newfoundland was under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of London. From 1789, it was part of the Diocese of Nova Scotia. In 1839, it became the Diocese of Newfoundland and Bermuda until 1924. Synod was organized in June of 1873. The Diocese was transferred to the Province of Canada in 1949.
The Diocese of Western Newfoundland was created as a result of the restructuring of the Diocese of Newfoundland and Labrador into three dioceses: Western Newfoundland, Central Newfoundland, and Eastern Newfoundland and Labrador. The geographical boundaries comprise that part of Newfoundland west and north of a line from Rencontre West to the western shore of Hind's Lake, then to Middle Arm in Green Bay and along the north side of Green Bay, together with the Parish of Forteau, from Blanc Sablon to Red Bay, Labrador.
The Diocesan Synod was incorporated January 1, 1976, and organized in June, 1976. The Diocese has an area of 23,000 square miles, plus part of Labrador, with an Anglican population of 45,000. The Diocese of Western Newfoundland is one of the dioceses of the Ecclesiastic Province of Canada. Most parishes are now connected by road, but some still require water and air transportation.