Title and statement of responsibility area
Englee Pastoral Charge fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- United Church of Canada. Englee Pastoral Charge
Physical description area
21 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Englee Mission was established in 1906. Englee had originally been connected with the White Bay Mission. When the White Bay Mission was divided, the Northern section of the White Bay Mission became the Englee Mission. The first minister, Rev. L. Halfyard, was appointed to Englee in 1908.
Although the area covered in the Englee Mission wasn't specified when it was separated from the White Bay Mission, records show that in 1935 the Englee Mission served the needs of the people in the following communities: Roddickton, Hooping Harbour, Williamsport and Little Harbour Deep.
In 1968 Englee was designated by the Fisheries of Canada as a place of centralization, a place for fishery growth, development and social improvement. During the past three years, its population had increased as more than 50 families had resettled from such places as Roddickton, Main Brook, Canada Harbour, Hooping Harbour, and Williamsport.
Each of the communities under the Englee Mission had its own little place of worship, often in the form of a school chapel was the case at Pigeon Cove. The church at Pigeon Cove was at first a school building, owned by the church. In 1971, the school was turned into a church for the use of the families there. At Hooping Harbour, a new church was constructed in 1955 on the site of the old church which was destroyed by fire a few years earlier. The church at Flower's Cove was constructed a little earlier than the others, in 1956. At Roddickton, a new church was started in 1974, and the Opening and Dedication Service was held on November 24, 1974. The church was named the John Wesley United Church. The earlier church was accidentally destroyed by fire when a building near the church burned and ignited the church.
The Englee Mission boundary was changed in 1976 and several preaching points were dropped and Englee now had five peaching points at Englee, Flower's Cove, Main Brook, Pigeon Cove and Roddickton. Englee, Roddickton and Main Brook are situated on one side of the Northern Peninsula while Pigeon Cove and Flowers Cove are located across the Straits. For the next ten years, the Englee Mission took in the same preaching points.
By 1987, the boundaries of the pastoral charge had diminished and now covered Roddickton to Main Brook on the Eastern side and Pigeon Cove to Flowers Cove on the Western side.
The records of the Englee Pastoral Charge were maintained at the White Bay Mission until 1906 when the White Bay Mission was divided and the Northern part became the Englee pastoral charge. When the United Church Conference Archives opened in the late 1960's, requests were made to all the pastoral charges to forward original records to the Archives for safe keeping, and in turn copies would be made and forwarded to the pastoral charge. Englee Pastoral Charge records were transferred to the Archives in 1987.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records pertaining to the Englee Pastoral Charge which includes Englee, Flower's Cove, Main Brook, Pigeon Cove and Roddickton. The records relate to the activities of the Charge and its functional bodies which included Sunday School services, Women's Association activities, Financial Management of the pastoral charge and the pastoral charge vital statistics. The majority of the records are in the form of minutes, reports, financial statements and registers.
These fonds have been arranged in the following series: Baptism, Marriage & Burial Records, 1883-1987; Flower's Cove Baptism Register, 1874-1941; Flower's Cove/French Harbour, 1874-1942; Flower's Cove Mission Burial Register, 1874-1964; Membership Records, 1939-1967; Board and Committee Records, 1936-1947; Women's Groups Records, 1972-1986; Sunday School/Sabbath School Records, 1936-1952; Funds/Congregational Financial Records, 1899-1989; Annual Reports, 1976-1996.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Other records relating to the Englee Pastoral Charge fonds may be found in Little Bay Islands and the White Bay District.
Further accruals are expected.
Standard number area
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 9, 2013
Language of description