Fonds - J. W. Hodge (Joe Batt's Arm, N.L.) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

J. W. Hodge (Joe Batt's Arm, N.L.) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on the earliest company represented in the fonds

Level of description


Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1896-1927 (Creation)
    J.W. Hodge. Joe Batt's Arm Branch

Physical description area

Physical description

4.5 m of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator


Administrative history

J W. Hodge (Joe Batt's Arm, Newfoundland) was a branch of J.W. Hodge, a fish and fishery supply business headquartered in Fogo, with branches at Twillingate, Change Islands, and Joe Batt's Arm from 1887 to 1918. John Wheadon Hodge established himself at the head of a business that became one of the most prominent mercantile firms in northeastern Newfoundland. Hodge also owned a small fleet of fishing schooners.

In 1889, Hodge leased a premises at Joe Batt's Arm from Deady Thomas, and in 1895, he bought Edwin Duder's property and business at Joe Batt's Arm. By 1896, the business was operating under the name of J.W. Hodge as a branch of his Fogo operation. Levi Perry was employed as Hodge's agent and remained in that position until at least 1922.

In 1918, J.W. Hodge retired from his Fogo business and began to close his other business interests. By 1925, Levi Perry had assumed control of the trade at Joe Batt's Arm and was operating the business independently. By 1928, he had sold the business to Earle Sons and Co. Ltd., which operated there under the management of Titus Jones. The Joe Batt's Arm premises closed on 31 December 1966.

Custodial history

Immediately prior to acquisition, the records were in storage at Joe Batt's Arm, in the custody of Boyd Decker.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of the business records for the branch of J.W. Hodge operating at Joe Batt's Arm. The records include 25 ledgers for 1896-1926 and 28 journals for 1900-1927, covering operations by J.W. Hodge from 1898 to 1922 and by his successor, Levi Perry, from 1922 to the late 1920s. Fonds is organized by form of material and arranged chronologically. Partnership changes are noted in the finding aid.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Dr. Gordon Handcock negotiated the acquisition of the material from Boyd Decker, Joe Batt's Arm.


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

    Location of originals

    Availability of other formats

    Restrictions on access

    Users should be aware that copyright rules and regulations may apply to some parts of this fonds.

    Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

    Finding aids

    Finding Aid No. 69

    Associated materials

    See also J. W. Hodge (Change Islands) fonds; Hodge Brothers (Twillingate) fonds; J. W. Hodge (Fogo) fonds.

    Related materials


    Alternative identifier(s)

    Standard number

    Standard number

    Access points

    Subject access points

    Place access points

    Name access points

    Genre access points

    Control area

    Description record identifier

    Institution identifier

    Rules or conventions



    Level of detail


    Dates of creation, revision and deletion

    Created - May 3, 2013

    Language of description

    • English

    Script of description


      Accession area