Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- United Church of Canada. King's Cove Pastoral Charge
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The first Methodist Minister recorded as being in the King's Point area was Rev. George Bond, who visited Three Arms in 1877-78, a short distance from King's Point. From 1883 until 1894, Harry's Harbour was part of the Little Bay Methodist Mission.
In 1894 it became part of the Nipper's Harbour -Tilt Cove Mission which included: Tilt Cove, Nipper's Harbour, Rogues Harbour, North West Arm (Burlington), South West Arm (King's Point), Jackson's Cove, La Scie, Shoe Cove Bight, Shoe Cove Brook, Caplin Cove, Indian Burying Place, Button Hole Cove, Harry's Harbour and Three Arms.
The boundaries changed again in 1897 and Harry's Harbour went back to the Little Bay Mission. In 1901 they were transferred to the Little Bay Islands Mission and were still a part of Little Bay Islands Mission in 1906. King's Point church was built in 1910 while it was part of the Little Bay Islands Mission.
In 1911 the King's Point Charge consisting of King's Point, Rattling Brook, Mansfield Point, Jackson's Cove, Harry's Harbour, and Three Arms was constituted and was ministered by Rev. R. H. Ball. Church Union took place in 1925 and the Methodist Church in Newfoundland became The United Church of Canada. At the time of Church Union in 1925, the mission included King's Point, Rattling Brook, Jackson's Cove and Harry's Harbour. Harry's Harbour church was dedicated for worship on May 22, 1927. The church stands where formerly stood a schoolhouse which was used also for divine worship.
In 1934 the pastoral charge was again divided, with King's Point and Rattling Brook being served by the Minister of Springdale, and Harry's Harbour, Jackson's Cove served by the Nipper's Harbour Minister. By 1951 King's Point again became a Pastoral Charge with its own Minister.
Construction of a new church commenced in King's Point in 1959 and, and when opened, served a membership of 154. Construction was started on a Manse there in 1963 and it was completed in 1964. Construction was started on a new church at Rattling Brook in 1976 and completed in 1977. This was their third church building over a period of seventy years.
Today, King's Point is a pastoral charge with preaching places at Harry's Harbour, Jackson's Cove and Rattling Brook.
Scope and content
These fonds consists of records pertaining to the King's Point Pastoral Charge which includes Harry's Harbour, Jackson's Cove and Rattling Brook. These records relate to the activities of the pastoral charge and its functional bodies. The majority of the records are in the form membership records, annual reports, church histories and vital statistics of the pastoral charge.
The fonds have been arranged in the following series: Baptism, Marriage and Burial Records, 1911-1974; Membership Records, 1911-1933; Annual Reports, 1992; Church Histories.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description