Title and statement of responsibility area
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on correspondence in the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish (Roman Catholic), (Mount Carmel (NL)
Physical description area
4 photographs: b&w
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish was established in 1927 and included the communities of Mount Carmel, Colinet, Harricott, The Tickles, North Harbour, John's Pond, St. Catherine's, and Mitchell's Brook. Prior to 1927 these communities were part of St. Joseph's Parish.
The boundaries of the parish have remained relatively stable. However, documentation if the fonds indicated that the community of St. Catherine's was transferred to St. Joseph's Parish prior to 1931. It was later restored to Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish, although the the exact year is unknown. In 1935 the parish priest was asked by Archbishop Edward P. Roche to include Markland as part of Mount Carmel's parish. In recent years, Our Lady of Mount Carmel Parish has established new missions at Deer Park and Salmonier and the chapel at Salmonier Correctional Institution.
The first parish priest of Our Lady of Mount Carmel was Rev. Joseph M. Conners who stayed until 1935. He was succeeded by Rev. Albert P. Slattery who served the parish for 27 years. Some of the parish priests that followed were Rev. E. Purcell (1962-1971), Rev. J. Barbour (1971-1974), Rev. V. Power (1974-1988) and Rev. Kenneth Walsh (1988-1993).
The church of Our Lady of Mount Carmel was built in 1886 by Father John St. John, who was the parish priest of St. Joseph's Parish. At that time, Mount Carmel was part of St. Joseph's Parish.
This church is currently the oldest church in St. Mary's Bay. There are two other churches in the parish. North Harbour's church, Sacred Heart, was built in 1954 and Our Lady of Grace church at Colinet which was built around 1958.
Existing parish committees include the Parish Council who shares the responsibility of running the parish; the Altar Society who looks after the community and parish celebrations; the Building Committee who takes care of the buildings in the parish; the Liturgy Committee; the R.C.I.A. for those interested in becoming full members of the church; the Baptismal Team; the Sports Committee with additional responsibilities for youth; and the Finance Committee.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of correspondence (1931, 1951-68, 1974-78); parish boundaries (1985); ecclesiastical documents (1885); and four photographs.
Fonds also includes printed material which relates to the Parish's history and activities.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Standard number area
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description