Anglican Parish of St. Peter's, Upper Gullies

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Anglican Parish of St. Peter's, Upper Gullies

Parallel form(s) of name

  • Parish of Upper Gullies

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1876 -

History

St. Peter's, Upper Gullies is the oldest church on Conception Bay South. Historically part of the Missions of South Shore Conception Bay and Foxtrap, the congregation began meeting in Hopewell Church, located near the current St. Peter's in 1876. AS the number of settlers in the area grew, so did the congregation. By 1898 it was clear to both clergy and people that a new place of worship was needed. On July 20,1905 the cornerstone was laid and on November 16,1909 the newly named St. Peter's Church was consecrated.

St. Peter's officially became an independent parish of the Anglican Diocese of Eastern Newfoundland and Labrador on September 26,1976. The Parish Hall Annex was completed in November 1980, giving St. Peter's it current form. In 2003, the church and adjoining cemetery were designated heritage properties by the Town of Conception Bay South

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places