Fonds - Random South Pastoral Charge fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Random South Pastoral Charge fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1891-1969 (Creation)
    Creator
    United Church of Canada. Random South Pastoral Charge. (N.L.)

Physical description area

Physical description

12.1 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1891-1985)

Administrative history

Methodism has a long and noble history in the Random area. The whole of the South West Arm of Random was settled between 1865 and 1880. At Northern Bight, the first arrivals were James Styles and D. Benson, the former was a Methodist. Random first appeared in the Minutes in 1871 in connection with Shoal Harbour. This mission had thirty appointments. By 1874, the circuit included the whole bottom of Trinity Bay with more than twenty appointments. In 1878, Shoal Harbour was divided into two missions - Random North and Random South, and later, the former went back to the title of Shoal Harbour.

Random South became head of the pastoral charge with a total membership of 238 under the pastorate of Rev. K. Davis. The first Methodist building went up in 1878 and Edgar Taylor was appointed as the first resident pastor. The first church was erected in 1899 and the new church, much larger than its predecessor, in 1923.

At the time of the union of the churches to form the United Church of Canada in 1925, Random South was still head of the circuit with thirteen preaching points and a membership of 223. Boundary changes in 1930, saw Hillview, which was formerly called Northern Bight, being made the head of the circuit under the pastorate of Rev. Chesley Howell. The pastoral charge included: Adeytown, Deep Bight, Hatchet Cove, Loweburn, North West Brook, Queen's Cove and St. Jones Within.

In 1933, Little Hearts Ease was added to the pastoral charge and the name was changed to the Hillview-Little Hearts Ease Pastoral Charge and more preaching places were added to this charge for a total of twelve preaching places. Hillview was combined with Little Hearts Ease until 1955.

Boundary changes after 1955 resulted in Hillview being combined with Sunnyside to form the Sunnyside-Hillview pastoral charge and it remained like this for a period of six years. Little Hearts Ease became a pastoral charge on its own with seven preaching points.

Then in 1974, Random South appears as pastoral charge as a result of the amalgamation of the two former charges of Little Hearts Ease and Hillview with a total of eleven preaching points stretching along both sides of North West Arm in Random South. In 1985, the pastoral charge of Random South was disbanded and ceased to exist. The charge was split into two pastoral charges - Hillview and Little Heart's Ease.

Custodial history

Random South Pastoral Charge first appeared in the Minutes in 1871 in connection with Shoal Harbour. By 1878, Shoal Harbour had been divided into two missions - Random North and Random South and later the former went back to the title of Shoal Harbour. Boundary changes throughout the years had Random South, Hillview and Little Hearts Ease each as head of the charge at one time or another. The vital statistics records were maintained in each of these charges when they were head of the pastoral charge until they were transferred to the United Church Archives sometime after 1960.

Scope and content

Fonds consist of records pertaining to the Random South Pastoral Charge. These records relate to the activities of the Charge and its functional bodies. The majority of the records are in the form of minutes, financial records and vital statistics.

Fonds are arranged in the following series: Baptism, Marriage and Burial Records, 1891-1969; Education Records, 1940-1956; Board and Committee Records, 1916-1968; Funds and Congregational Financial Records, 1913-1965; Youth Groups Records, 1959-1960.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

No restrictions

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Finding aid is available.

Associated materials

Other records relating to the Random South Pastoral Charge can be found in the Shoal Harbour, Swift Current and Norman's Cove Pastoral Charge.

Related materials

Accruals

Further accruals are expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - April 28, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area