Title and statement of responsibility area
Rev. Plagius Nowlan fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Title based on content of the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Nowlan, Plagius
Physical description area
2 cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Plagius Nowlan (1784-1871), Catholic priest, was born in 1784 in the parish of Killrush, County Wexford, Ireland. He received his early education in the Roman Catholic Seminary and St. Peter's College, Wexford, under Rev. John Sinnott. Rev. Sinnott's brother James had served for many years as a missionary in Newfoundland, so Nowlan's desire to serve in Newfoundland may have originated from that connection. Nowlan completed his ecclesiastical training at Birchfield College, Kilkenny.
Bishop Michael Anthony Fleming visited the southeast counties of Ireland in the 1830s to recruit priests for the Vicariate Apostolic of Newfoundland. Nowlan accepted Fleming's invitation. He was ordained a priest by Bishop Fleming in Carrick-on-Suir, Ireland, in 1831 and departed shortly afterwards for St. John's, Newfoundland.
Nowlan was appointed a curate to Rev. Ewer (also spelled Yore) in Harbour Grace, with residence at Carbonear, serving that parish from 1831 to 1835. During that period, he was appointed a member of the Board of Health for the District of Harbour Grace. He was also one of the founding members of the Benevolent Irish Society (BIS) in Carbonear.
In 1835, Rev. Nowlan was appointed the first parish priest of Holy Rosary Parish, Little Placentia (now Argentia), and remained there until his death in 1871. Among his accomplishments was the construction of a parish church. He also served as a member of the Roman Catholic School Board for the district.
Rev. Nowlan died on 6 January 1871. His remains were interred in Mount Rosary Cemetery, Argentia. During World War II, when American military forces began their occupation of the town of Argentia as a military base, the seat of the parish was moved to Freshwater. In 1942, Rev. Nowlan's remains were transferred to the parish cemetery at Freshwater.
Rev. Nowlan was seen as a pragmatic and affable man, who steered clear of the political and denominational controversies in which some of his colleagues immersed themselves.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of records related to Rev. Plagius Nowlan, including baptismal certificate and canonical documents. Fonds also includes newspaper clippings and printed material related to his life.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
File list available
Bishop Michael Anthony Fleming fonds; Bishop John Thomas Mullock fonds
Standard number area
Subject access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - April 28, 2013
Language of description