Title and statement of responsibility area
Anglican Parish Of Spaniard's Bay, NL
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Anglican Parish of Spaniard's Bay, NL
Physical description area
2.0cm of textual records
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Parish of Spaniard’s Bay was originally a mission of Harbour Grace. On June 2nd, 1843, the first recorded use of this church gives its name as The Church of the Holy Trinity. The schoolroom was used for services prior to having the church.
The first mention of what is now Tilton dates from a baptism service where the family is from "The Tilts", and the name Tilton appears in 1879. Records from the early 1880's refer to a place called New Harbour Line, later called Fall Pond Ridge, ultimately re-christened Goddenville. Throughout the written materials, old place names are still referred to Mint Cove, Green Head, Back Cove and Rocky Pond.
The Church of the Holy Trinity served the needs of the parishioners of Spaniard's Bay and the surrounding communities for almost five decades. Late in the 1880's it was decided once again that the population had grown to a point where the old church was too small to be of any use.
On May 3rd, 1891, the new Church was dedicated to the Holy Redeemer by Bishop Llewellyn Jones. The new church had a new name, The Church of the Holy Redeemer. The mission was elevated into a parish in 1913.
The Church of All Saints in Tilton was consecrated in November 1905.
Scope and content
Service register, Financial Accounts, Minutes and Correspondence.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Restrictions may apply. Consult the archivist.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
The fonds is open. Further accruals expected.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Language of description