Fonds - St. Agnes'-St. Michael's Parish (Roman Catholic), Flatrock-Pouch Cove (NL)

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Agnes'-St. Michael's Parish (Roman Catholic), Flatrock-Pouch Cove (NL)

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material
  • Architectural drawing

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on canonical decree found in the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1915-1985, predominant 1951-1977 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. Agnes'-St. Michael's Parish (Roman Catholic), Flatrock-Pouch Cove (NL)

Physical description area

Physical description

12 cm of textual records
17 photographs
3 architectural drawings

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1916-)

Administrative history

The territorial boundaries of St. Agnes'-St. Michael's Parish encompass the communities of Pouch Cove, Shoe Cove (incorporated as the Town of Pouch Cove in 1987), and Flatrock (alt. Flat Rock). Initially, this territory formed part of Holy Trinity Parish (Torbay) and was served by visiting clergy. Rev. Edward Troy, parish priest of Holy Trinity (1845-1872), began holding the first Catholic services in a school at Pouch Cove shortly after his appointment to Torbay. In September 1877, a chapel dedicated to St. Joseph was erected in Pouch Cove and, in 1874, a church dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel was erected in Flatrock. St. Michael's was in use until 1967 when it was torn down and replaced by the current church building, constructed in 1970. The cornerstone of the present-day church in Pouch Cove, St. Agnes', was laid in 1916, the same year in which the territory was raised to the status of a parish and gained its ecclesiastical independence from Holy Trinity. In 1985, St. Agnes' Parish underwent an official name change to become St. Agnes'- St. Michael's Parish, representing the equality between the two towns that comprise the juridical entity. However, the seat of the parish remains in Pouch Cove.

Schools have played an integral part in the parochial organization of St. Agnes'-St. Michael's Parish. The first Catholic schools in both Pouch Cove and Flatrock were established in 1843 under the jurisdiction of the Roman Catholic School Board for the region. In the early part of the twentieth century, three schools were in operation within the parish: St. Agnes' (built ca. 1905), Holy Angels' (built ca. 1930), and St. Michael's (built ca. 1930). In 1962, two new schools were constructed in Pouch Cove and Flatrock, replacing the older buildings and phasing out Holy Angels', located in Shoe Cove. Today, only St. Agnes' remains in operation and it is no longer under church control as a result of denominational education reforms passed by the Provincial Government in 1997.

St. Agnes' has had a Parish Council since April 1973, acting as a consultative body to the parish priest in the administration of parochial affairs. The council is elected and meets each month, alternating between Pouch Cove and Flatrock. In addition to the Parish Council, St. Agnes' operates a Finance Committee to aid the parish priest in the administration of the goods of the parish and several sub-committees that oversee liturgical events. Other committees and lay societies that participate in parochial affairs include the Grotto Committee, the Ladies Auxiliary Committee, and the Knights of Columbus.

Pastors who have served St. Agnes'- St. Michael's Parish since its establishment in 1916 include: Daniel O'Callaghan (1916-1917); Joseph Pippy ([1918?]-1920); Lawrence Augustine Fortune (1920-1930); William V. Sullivan (1930-1961); Thomas Cooper, Administrator (1961); Eric R. Lawlor (1961); Charles G. Greene (1961-1970); Gregory Hogan (1971-1972); Patrick Kennedy (1972-1977); John Corrigan ([1977?]-1986); Edward J. Purcell (1986-1989); Reginald Currie (1989-1991); Robert Ryan, Administrator (1991-1994); John Vickers, Administrator (1994-1995); and Frank Puddister (1995- ).

Custodial history

Scope and content

Fonds consists of correspondence arranged by name of parish priest (1951-1977); financial statements (1915-1928); transcribed notes relating to parish history [1977?]; canonical decrees delineating parish boundaries and effecting a corporate name change (1982, 1985); 200th Anniversary Committee records relating to papal visit (1984); 3 architectural drawings of St. Michael's Church (1970); and 17 photographs of Our Lady of Lourdes Shrine, St. Michael's Church, and the town of Flatrock [19--]. Fonds includes some photocopies.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

An annotation on the box list indicates that a former archivist has artificially rearranged the correspondence files to reflect the terms of office of the various pastors.

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Restrictions on access may apply. Consult the archivist.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Box list and detailed item level inventory available.

Associated materials

See Holy Trinity Parish fonds for records created prior to the establishment of St. Agnes'- St. Michael's Parish in 1916.

Related materials

Accruals

The fonds is open. Further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - May 7, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area