Fonds - St. George's Pastoral Charge fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. George's Pastoral Charge fonds

General material designation

  • Graphic material
  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Title based on contents of the fonds

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1883-1996 (Creation)
    Creator
    United Church of Canada. St. George's Pastoral Charge.

Physical description area

Physical description

36 cm of textual records
6 photographs

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1883-1996)

Administrative history

Methodism in St. George's Bay dates back to at least the 1860s, for in 1867, it was reported that Methodists had settled at South Side (St. George's) and were holding "cottage services" there. The St. George's Mission was created in 1883 in the Burin District of the Methodist Church of Canada, Newfoundland Conference. Its first pastor was Rev. William Rex, who found, upon his arrival, a church with about 20 members and a Mr. A. Cutler acting as a lay reader.

The present-day pastoral charge includes churches in St. George's, Heatherton, and Stephenville. However, the boundaries of the earlier mission changed frequently as St. George's became associated with the Bay of Islands (1886-1902) and other times with Channel (St. George's was part of Channel mission in 1861). The boundaries of the first mission went from Robinson's Head to Boswarlos. In 1873, Bonne Bay was listed as being part of the mission, and in 1886 an agreement was made for the minister stationed at St. George's to spend 6 months at St. George's, and 6 months at Bay of Islands.

The first church in St. George's was opened in 1878. A new structure was built in 1938, and another in 1974. A church was also erected at Sandy Point in 1883-1884. Rev. J. T. Newman reported in 1891 that a school-chapel was being constructed at Boswarlos. The first church opened there in 1909 and was replaced by another in 1961. An 1892 report from Heatherton stated that a house had been purchased there for use as a parsonage. A school-chapel was opened there in 1909, and a new church, in 1955. The Heatherton church was replaced with a new structure in 1981. In 1949, United Church services began in Stephenville with a congregation of 46, and in 1957, a new church was opened there.

Custodial history

The records were deposited in the Conference archives sometime after its formation in 1966.

Scope and content

Fonds consist of records relating to the functional bodies of the Charge which include various boards, committees, organizations and groups. Included are vital statistics registers, minutes, reports, financial statements, accounts, correspondence, and publications.

The records are arranged in the following series: Series 1 Baptism, marriage, and burial records (1883-1969); Series 2 Membership records (1883-1895); Series 3 Board and committee records (1895-1961); Series 4 Education (1889-1935); Series 5 Women's groups (1924); Series 6 Sunday school/Sabbath school records (1895-1897); Series 7 Youth Groups records (1944-1947); Series 8 Funds/Congregational Financial records (1907-1951); Series 9 Annual reports (1964-1996); and Series 10 Publications and other miscellaneous records (1983-1963).

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Researchers are required to use photocopies of vital statistics records. Originals are allowed to be used only at the discretion of the archivist.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Archives inventory list, 1999

Associated materials

Other records relating to the S. George's Pastoral Charge are found in the Burgeo Pastoral Charge fonds, and Channel Pastoral Charge fonds.

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - April 25, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area