Fonds - Anglican Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, NL

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Anglican Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, NL

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Sound recording

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1840-2005 (Creation)
    Creator
    Anglican Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, NL

Physical description area

Physical description

20 cm of textual records, 2 Cassette Tapes

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1699 -)

Administrative history

The parish was founded in 1699 in response to a petition drafted by the Anglican townsfolk of St. John's and sent to the Bishop of London, the Rt. Rev. Henry Compton. In this petition, the people also requested help in the rebuilding of their church, which had been destroyed by fire in the course of hostilities with the French. The first rector was a former Royal Naval chaplain, the Rev. John Jackson.
At least six wooden churches stood on or near this site. Those that survived the rigours of Newfoundland weather fell victim to accidental fires and military operations during the wars between the French and the British which finally resulted in British control of North America. The first stone church was begun in 1843 under the direction of Aubrey Spencer, the first bishop of Newfoundland, but little progress was made on this relatively modest edifice beyond the laying of a cornerstone before Bishop Spencer resigned due to ill health.
Designated a National Historic Site in 1981, the present Cathedral was begun in 1847 by Edward FeiId, the second bishop of NewfoundIand. Bishop Feild commissioned plans from the leading Gothic Revival architect George Gilbert Scott, who envisioned a more impressive cruciform structure with varied ornamentation in the twelfth-century English style. The Nave, built between 1847 and 1850, served as the entire Cathedral Church for 35 years until the Transepts, Chancel and Sanctuary were added in the period 1880-1885.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Minutes (1877-1895),deeds, reports,contracts,correspondence,clippings,financials records, services, newspaper clippings. Included also are records of the Cathedral chapter. 2 Cassette tapes,1987

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Restrictions may apply. Consult the archivist.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

other materials in 100.12, Box 11 and in 100.11.02 box 3 f.6 (Indenture re completion of Cathedral roof)

Related materials

Accruals

The fonds is open. Further accruals expected.

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres