Fonds - St. Matthew’s Church (Trouty) fonds

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

St. Matthew’s Church (Trouty) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

  • Source of title proper: Supplied title based on provenance

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1888-1992 (Creation)
    Creator
    St. Matthew's Church (Trouty, N.L. : Catholic)

Physical description area

Physical description

26 cm of textual records

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1853-)

Administrative history

In 1848 a school was in use at Trouty as the church, a year later it was decided that a proper church building was needed. Plans were made to build a church on the top of Church Hill - a position in the community that was visible from most of the community as well as the fishing grounds off the harbour. The church was consecrated on St. Matthew’s Day, 1853 as well as the churchyard.

After 30 years of service the church was replaced with a second St. Matthew’s, on May 13, 1888, the day of the first service held in the unfinished church. On November 26, 1888 the church was consecrated by the Rt. Rev. Llewellyn Jones, Bishop of Newfoundland.

Custodial history

The records were kept and maintained at St. Matthew’s Church, Trouty until 2002 when they were donated to the archives by the vestry of the church at the annual general meeting.

Scope and content

The fonds consists of minutes of select vestry meetings 1911 - 1986; vestry registers, 1888-1998; financial records; 1906-1952; correspondence, 1929-1949; minister’s records, 1945-1990 and visitor’s books, 1966-1992.

The records have been organized into six series according to form and function.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Donated by St. Matthew’s Church Vestry.
Headstone inscriptions were donated by Mr. Gerald Spurrell in April 2005.

Arrangement

Language of material

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - August 26, 2013

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres