Anglican Parish of St. Nicholas, Ivanhoe, NL

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Anglican Parish of St. Nicholas, Ivanhoe, NL

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1926-1964

History

Ivanhoe and Traytown are two resettled community on the island of Ireland’s Eye in Trinity Bay, in the Parish of Trinity. A meeting of the residents was held May 1,1926, respecting the erection of a church for their communities. Those present voted to have a church “central between Ivanhoe and Traytown”. Permission was granted by the Diocesan Synod and the site across the road from the school was selected. Plans were drawn up by the Rector of the Parish, Rev. E. P. Hiscock, and approved by Synod.

The church was completed by June 1929, and consecrated later that year. The communities were resettled under the provincial government program in the 1960s. The final recorded congregational meeting was held in 1964. There was no reference to the impending closing of the church, but the lay reader, Mr. Cecil King referred to people “going away from the place they once loved so dearly”. By 1966 the resettlement of the community was complete.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Partial

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Created - April 30, 2013

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

Sources

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places