Zona do título e menção de responsabilidade
St. Patrick's Parish (Witless Bay, Newfoundland) fonds
Designação geral do material
- Documento textual
- Material gráfico
Outra informação do título
Título e menções de responsabilidade
Notas ao título
- Source of title proper: Title based on correspondence in the fonds
Nível de descrição
Código de referência
Zona de edição
Menção de edição
Menção de responsabilidade da edição
Zona de detalhes específicos de materiais
Menção da escala (cartográfica)
Menção da projecção (cartográfica)
Menção das coordenadas (cartográfico)
Menção da escala (arquitectura)
Autoridade emissora e denominação (filatélica)
Zona de datas de criação
- St. Patrick's Parish (Witless Bay, N.L. : Catholic)
Zona de descrição física
20 cm of textual records
1 photograph: b&w
1 microfilm reel
Zona dos editores das publicações
Título próprio do recurso continuado
Títulos paralelos das publicações do editor
Outra informação do título das publicações do editor
Menção de responsabilidade relativa ao editor do recurso contínuo
Numeração das publicações do editor
Nota sobre as publicações do editor
Zona da descrição do arquivo
Nome do produtor
St. Patrick's Parish was established in 1831 and included the communities of Bay Bulls, Witless Bay, Mobile, Tors Cove, Burnt Cove, St. Michael's, Bauline and La Manche. Prior to this, these communities were part of the much larger St. John's Parish which stretched from La Manche on the Southern Shore to Holyrood, Conception Bay.
In 1893, St. Patrick's Parish was divided. Bay Bulls and Witless Bay remained in St. Patrick's Parish. The remaining communities were transferred to the the jurisdiction of the newly established Sacred Heart Parish, with Mobile as its centre. In 1921, Mobile was removed from Sacred Heart Parish and transferred back to St. Patrick's Parish.
Additional jurisdictional changes to St. Patrick's Parish occurred in 1921 when Archbishop Edward P. Roche separated Bay Bulls from St. Patrick's Parish and created the Parish of Saints Peter and Paul, with its parish centre at Bay Bulls. This left the communities of Witless Bay and Mobile under St. Patrick's Parish.
In 1965, Sacred Heart Parish was dismembered and the parish came under the jurisdiction of St. Patrick's Parish. In 1996 St. Patrick's Parish and Sacred Heart Parish were canonically suppressed. The successor parish was the newly created parish Our Lady, Star of the Sea.
Freedom of religion had been granted to Roman Catholics in Newfoundland in 1784 and Rev. James O'Donel, vicar apostolic, was selected to organize the Catholic Church in Newfoundland. Sometime before 1796, O'Donel built the first Catholic Church in Bay Bulls, then part of St. John's Parish. The first priest appointed to St. Patrick's Parish was Rev. (later Dean) Patrick Cleary. He chose Witless Bay as the centre of the parish where he built a presbytery and started the construction of a church in the 1830s. This church, the current church in Witless Bay, was completed by Dean Roche ca. 1877. In 1989, when renovations were being made to the presbytery at Witless Bay, newspapers dating from 1840 were discovered in the walls of the house, suggesting that this was the original house that built by Cleary built and the oldest surviving Roman Catholic Parish presbytery in the Archdiocese of St. John's.
Education in St. Patrick's Parish was organized by Dean Cleary. Shortly after the Education Act of 1836, a school was established at Witless Bay and staffed with lay people. By 1844, there were Catholic schools in other communities in the parish, including Bay Bulls and St. Michael's. In 1860 the Presentation Sisters established a convent and school in Witless Bay. They educated the girls while the boys were educated in a separate school by a lay teacher. In 1915, Rev. Patrick J. O'Brien added two new rooms to the convent and school which allowed the boys and girls to be taught by the Presentation Sisters. In 1948 the Convent school at Witless Bay was renovated and called St. Bernard's School after its foundress Mother M. Bernard O'Donnel.
In 1920, Rev. O'Brien also built a new three-room school at Bay Bulls. In 1921 the Sisters of Mercy were invited to St. Patrick's Parish. They established a convent in Bay Bulls and directed the operation of the schools in the community; In the 1970s Rev. William Lawton, who had established the first parish council in Tors Cove-St. Michael's, organized the St. Patrick's Parish Council. By 1975, the men of St. Patrick's Parish had formed a District Council of the Knights of Columbus and called it the Dean Cleary Council in memory of the early pastor. Other community organizations which have been active in the parish include the Ladies Auxiliary of the Knights of Columbus, the Legion of Mary, the Columbian Squires and the Girl Guides and Boy Scouts.
Some of the priests who served the people of St. Patrick's Parish (est. in 1831) are as follows: Dean Patrick Cleary (1831-1882); Dean Roche (1882-1916); Patrick O'Brien (1916-1922); J. J. Greene (1923-1934); T. J. Gough (1934-1954); Richard McGrath (1954-1968); Francis Coady (1968-1970); William Lawton as administrator (1970-1973); E. J. Purcell (1973-1986); Tony Bennett (1986-1987); Francis Puddister (1987-1990); William Pomroy (1990-1995); and Robert Ryan (1995-1996).
Âmbito e conteúdo
Fonds consist of a baptismal register of Bay Bulls, Witless Bay and Tors Cove (1830-80); baptismal register of Witless Bay (1881-1915); financial records (1916-23); parish documents (1856-1922, 1996); parish boundaries (1982); and correspondence (1902-90, predominant 1945-79); Fonds also includes printed material which relates to the Parish's history and activities.
Zona das notas
Fonte imediata de aquisição
The immediate source of the fonds is St. Patrick's Parish but additional material has been added by the archivist and other donors.
Idioma do material
Script do material
Nota ao idioma e script
English predominates. Some Latin documents included.
Localização de originais
Disponibilidade de outros formatos
Some sections of the baptismal registers (1830-99) have been microfilmed. The baptismal register of Bay Bulls, Witless Bay and Tors Cove (1830-80) and the baptismal register of Witless Bay (1881-1915) have been photocopied.
Restrições de acesso
Restrictions on access may apply. Consult the archivist.
Termos que regulam o uso, reprodução e publicação
Researchers are required to use the photocopied registers for conservation reasons.
Instrumentos de descrição
Box list available.
See Basilica-Cathedral of St. John the Baptist Parish fonds for records that predate the establishment of St. Patrick's Parish. Also consult Sts. Peter and Paul Parish fonds, Sacred Heart Parish fonds, and Mobile Parish fonds for additional information on communities that were once part of St. Patrick's Parish.
Further accruals are not expected as this Parish was suppressed in 1996. If, however, additional material on St. Patrick's Parish becomes available, it will be accepted.
Zona do número normalizado
Pontos de acesso
Pontos de acesso - Nomes
Pontos de acesso de género
Zona do controlo
Descrição do identificador do registo
Identificador da instituição
Regras ou convenções
Nível de detalhe
Datas de criação, revisão ou eliminação
Created - April 25, 2013
Idioma da descrição