Title and statement of responsibility area
Thomas Ruck fonds
General material designation
- Textual record
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: Source of title is based on the common name for the fonds
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Ruck, Thomas
Physical description area
1 microfilm reel
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Thomas Ruck Jr. (1659-172-), New England shipowner and merchant, was born on 9 July 1659 in Salem, Massachusetts, son of Damaris (Buffum) and Thomas Ruck (d. 1704), and one of seven children. Thomas Ruck Jr. married Mary Clark on 18 September 1708. His death date is not currently known.
Ruck was a mariner and a vessel owner. He was listed as master of the brig Fraternity (1706), part-owner of the brig Dolphin (1710) and master of the brig Swallow (1711). His firm, Thomas Ruck & Company, was extensively involved in the Newfoundland trade during the period 1713-22. Ruck dealt with Newfoundland planters (settlers) and English migratory fishing crews in harbours and coves along the English Shore, from Ferryland to Bonavista. Most of his dealings, however, were concentrated in St. John's and adjacent outports, including Petty Harbour, Bay Bulls, Quidi Vidi and Torbay. Ruck specialized in bartering West Indian products, rum and molasses, and New England produce, foodstuffs, hardware and lumber, for salted cod. He also sold supplies for bills of exchange.
Ruck was one of many New England traders (or, as they were sometimes called, " hucksters" or "interlopers") involved in the Newfoundland trade in the early eighteenth century, playing an important role in supplying early settlers.
Custodial history of records is partially unknown. They were acquired from an American bookdealer, Newburyport Rare Books in July 1988 under a share agreement between the Provincial Archives and the Maritime History Archive and the Cultural Property Export and Import Act. Ownership is shared between the two provincial institutions.
Scope and content
Fonds consists of company accounts for the New England firm of Thomas Ruck & Company relating to the fish trade in Newfoundland, 1713-1722. Fonds is composed of five ledgers, a journal and a day book containing accounts for the seasonal trade (usually May-Sept) conducted by Ruck in Bay Bulls, Petty Harbour, Quidi Vidi, Torbay, St. John's, Ferryland, Witless Bay, Cape Broyle, Brigus Bay South and Conception Bay, Newfoundland.
Immediate source of acquisition
Acquired from Newburyport Rare Books in July 1988.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
The original records are stored at the Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Availability of other formats
Microfilm is available at the Provincial Archives and the Maritime History Archive.
Restrictions on access
Originals are restricted for conservation purposes. Reproductions available.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Copyright for microfilm jointly held by the Provincial Archives of Newfoundland and Labrador and Maritime History Archive.
No further accruals expected.
See The Newfoundland Ancestor (v.5, no. 3) for the "Thomas Ruck lecture" by PANL archivist Howard Brown which provides an overview of these records. A subsequent article by John Parkinson, "Women in the Thomas Ruck ledgers" (v. 14, no. 2) is also useful.
Standard number area
Name access points
- Thomas Ruck & Company (Subject)
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Created - May 6, 2013
Language of description